4 posts / 419 viewsLast Reply

74 tii. I just had the injection pump belt replaced. This was the last source of the car not starting. Since got it back from my mechanic I have driven it once, started fine, a bit of hesitation above 4500 rpms. Next time would not start, doing the same thing as before the belt replacement. Turns over and catches for about a second or two and dies. I have fuel and spark. Could it be the timing is off and if so how do you check for timing if the engine doesn't run? Can anyone local maybe come by and help me get r going? Raleigh nc. Any advice would be great. Don't want to have to tow her back to the shop.

A quick test of rough timing setting can be done by turning engine around to TDC for #1 then pull dist cap. Rotor should be under the #1 wire terminal. You can set what's called "static" timing using a 12V test light or voltmeter. That procedure is described in the manual. You set #1 to fire at TDC to get car running. But if timing is way out, you'll often get spitting and backfiring. I'm no tii expert, but arent you supposed to sync the pump too?

Fuel pump running and buzzing under the rear

of the car with the key on ?

yes. I have fuel at the filter next to the radiator and spark when I lay the plug wire on the valve cover and turn it over.