charbmw

what does is take to pass Cali inspection in a 2002

19 posts / 1470 viewsLast Reply

How's it going guys. Just wondering if anyone knows what it takes to pass California inspection for a daily driven 1976 2002. I currently have the car registered in NJ with historic plates so I've never had to get it inspected. I'm thinking to have it be my daily driver in CA. It currently has an IE header, lynx manifold with a DCOE 45. No front or rear bumpers. And a straight pipe to a magnaflo muffler, although I do have a resonator I could throw in.

Will CA require me to basically bring my car back to stock if I want to have it pass as a daily driver with daily drivers insurance...or do you guys recommend I just keep it as a historic and drive it only occasionally. I love to hear anyone's thoughts or other ideas.

Thanks guys,

Charlie

Will CA require me to basically bring my car back to stock

Yes. Or, you can register it in a CA county that doesn't require smog checks. There are a few.

If you have any friends or relatives in those places, you could use their address.

Alternatively, you can claim you have no paperwork on your car, file new papers from scratch, say it's a '75, and then make an attempt to register it as such by doin' some fibbin'.*

*this advice is for entertainment purposes only! ;-)

If you don't drive it constantly...keep in registered in Jersey (at a friend or relative's address) the plates are probably cheaper there too, since they're not as bankrupt as CA.

Even though I don't live there, I have all of my cars registered in CA (since they are "blue plate") but they all pre 1976. The SOB's keep raising the plate renewal every year to make up their deficit.

Sell it and buy a roundie when you get there.

t

100% stock.... Or go through the process to instal a later motor, like 320i or E30 318i M10, and go through the approval process with the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair. You can install basically any newer motor you want as long as you also install all of that newer engine's emissions equipment too.

We're in process of installing an '89 325i M20/B25 into a '76 2002... I've done the same with an '85 318i motor into a '76 as well.

Also, I/we've set up/repaired/sourced parts for many '76 '02s that had bad/missing smog equipment to pass the smog test, BUT that's getting harder and harder as the emissions limits for cars that old are getting tighter and tighter.

The only thing California cares about is the smog (which you will not pass with a header), there is no safety inspection. The exempt counties do require a smog check at change of ownership and I believe registering for the first time may be considered the same as change of ownership.

Check here and contact the DMV for specifics, if it was a 49 state car I think it would have to conform to the 49 state standards which again yours will not, there is a visual inspection even if it passes the sniffer test and your header replaces a piece of the required smog equipment.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

your going to have to change your whole engine around its a pain in the ass.

Here you go:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Engineering/program_map.pdf

I live in Chula Vista but my car is registered in Descanso, which is a "Change of Ownership" area, so I do not have to worry about getting it smogged every 2 years again. There is no way in hell my 76 will come even close to passing the visual test with an EFI conversion.

As FunkyLaneO stated above, they may require smog cert when first registering it, so you may want to give the CA DMV a call.

Last resort, use Historical plates (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm), but you risk a ticket every time you drive it.

Will CA require me to basically bring my car back to stock

Yes. Or, you can register it in a CA county that doesn't require smog checks. There are a few.

If you have any friends or relatives in those places, you could use their address.

Alternatively, you can claim you have no paperwork on your car, file new papers from scratch, say it's a '75, and then make an attempt to register it as such by doin' some fibbin'.*

*this advice is for entertainment purposes only! ;-)

I believe all counties require change of ownership smog check, if not shoot a zip code and be prepared for population explosion of the paper kind.

Pass smog with a DCOE....? That's not gonna happen...

Thanks a bunch guys! Awesome help. It's lookin like I'll just keep NJ historic plates on it until I NEED to change it.

Pass smog with a DCOE....? That's not gonna happen...
:0

Now for the changing it to a 75 idea...won't the VIN number show the year? Maybe I'm missing something.