BillWilliams

Height difference between a 195/50r15 v 195/60r14

17 posts / 1799 viewsLast Reply

The son put BMW bottlecaps with Falken 195/60r14 on it and took the Yokohama 195/60r15 on OZs off. He is autocrossing it this year in SCCA.

The Falkens handle like a "cat on a carpet" he says compared to the Yokahamas I had on it. You can see how much more rubber is on the contact patch on the Falkens than the Yoko. Also the Falkens have a beefed up outside edge. Falkens should be fun in the rain.

Just for kicks here is the total height difference. The 15s are on the left.

19550r15v19560r14_zps1b702254.jpg

The bottlecaps are too tucked in with the flaired fenders, need some spacers.

P2withbottlecaps_zps41c8cc64.jpg

Yes Jim, I have always let the boys use the cars. Evan is having a ball with it. He wants me to co-drive with him, but he would embarrass me greatly.

Yes, it still has the same boxes. They work well for autocrossing. He never has to shuttle steer and is in second gear most of the time. Motor stays in the sweet spot he says, 4500 to 5000 rpms. But SCCA classing puts him in a class with the rich boys with new BMWs set up just to autocross. Complete autocrossing suspensions and race tires. Not quite fare but it is about having fun.

I asked him how the brakes were doing. "Hummm, don't really use them that much" was his response.

His next SCCA run is 13-14 April at FedEx. Will you be there? It would be nice for him to have another 2002 to run against.

Both courses so far were pretty fast ones. He is looking forward to a tighter course to see how he can do.

in second gear most of the time. .... don't really use them that much" was his response.

I'm guessing the engine-braking effect works wonderful. What clutch are you running? All polyurethane mounts (guess I could look for your older build blog)?

His next SCCA run is 13-14 April at FedEx. Will you be there? It would be nice for him to have another 2002 to run against.

Both courses so far were pretty fast ones. He is looking forward to a tighter course to see how he can do.

Not sure yet. Needs to stop snowing...

I believe the clutch is a Sachs HD or something like that and it does have poly bushing.

I may go watch next time to see how flat it sets. I always enjoyed watching him race his #42 bike. That is the number he is using in autocross. I thought he had the best looking bike and ol' school helmet. He painted the bike the Corvette Atomic Orange

KIT_9882.jpg

Hi Bill,

You sure the 15s are on the left? This calculator says they're an inch taller.

I think Bill's car is/was running wider 15"wheels - maybe 6"or 7".

...stick to the crotch-rockets.

................... revs per mile ........overall Dia.

195/60x14" ..... 898...................... 23.2" = pillow ride

195/50/15" ...... 915 .................... 22.7" = hard ride

i liked the overall handling, steering, braking better

with 'race' compound 185/60x14 vs

the 195/60x14's 'sport' Continentals when lapping Lime Rock

He was fast CD, but sold his toys to buy his own place. Sucks to put on your big boy pants sometimes.

Maybe he will give those tires you suggest next time around. Cost was a factor.

Ray, the 15s are on the left.

Bill,

The guys at Grassroots motorsports do some good testing on tires for auto x every spring/summer. They pull Andy Hollis out to help them put it together. It's pretty amazing what the come up with.

I used that information when i bought Dunlop Star Spec Direzzia's for the ti. I haven't auto x'd w/them on yet, but man that compound i swear is made from Gorilla glue. When the Falkin's are done, I'd give them a try.

Glad to see the boys are enjoying the cars too.

Take care,

Dave

Guest Anonymous

Those yokos are es100's. Unimpressive at best. I just beat on a set at summit point this weekend while teaching.

If you look up each tire on tirerack.com and look at the "specs" for each tire they give you height, tread width, section width, rev/mile, recomended wheel width, etc. different manufacturers and different tires even from the same brand have different dimensions for the same stated size. For instance look up the dimensions for a 205/60/13 Toyo RA1 then look at the dimensions for a 205/60/13 Hoosier R6