Supertheory

1967 1602 Tail light issues

5 posts / 662 viewsLast Reply

First time poster. I'm trying to sort out a problem with my tail lights. My running lights have been out for some time. My brake lights also barely light up and very slowly and dim at that. I replaced all tail light bulbs recently but same issues. Can anyone help?

The brass contacts on the bulb holders loose their spring and become corroded, use steel wool or if very bad an emory board to clean up and rebend contacts to make better stronger contact, use some sort of electrical grease on contacts, if still not good start checking grounds, any problem with battery/alternator voltage? Is this a 6 volt car? Are bulbs 6 or 12 volt? Headlight switch in good order? fuse box cleaned and maintained? Thats all I got.................

I will try the steel wool on the contacts and rebend them. 6volt car. 12 volt bulbs. Headlight switch needs wd as the instrument panel is dim. Fuse box is good.

yer old car suffers from the common OXIDATION.

your going to ask this about every thing on

that car with electricity trying to flow though

it. Radio shack or NAPPA & WURTH have

Contact Ol/Cleaner which you use along

with cleaning all bulb sockets,

all plug connections, all switches,

all ground connections..................

%24(KGrHqN,!jcE2HIWLGlHBNsTw-r%2Bug~~_12.JPG

electrical system, you're gonna have dim lights.

Six volt bulbs aren't easy to find these days, as your 1600 was the last car I can think of that uses 'em (VW switched to 12v in '66). You might try a VW specialty shop either locally or on-line; you should be able to find just what you need.

If you really get desperate, drop me an e-mail--I have 6v bulbs for my Renaults so have some extras--even the non-halogen headlight bulbs.

With the proper bulbs and clean contacts, you're gonna have lights as bright as 6v will make 'em, but not as bright as 12v--that's why carmakers switched, along with being able to use thinner wires.

cheers

mike