• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii rear drive flanges too hard to cut?

FB73tii

I just got a call from my machine shop telling me that my new 2002tii rear drive flanges (33411101848) are too hard for them to cut. I asked them to ream out the holes so I could press-fit larger 1/2"-20 three-inch long studs for the track car. I had the same shop do the same operation on a set of brand new tii flanges a few years ago, so don't know what changed. I use the tii flanges because they are hardened (as opposed to the standard 33413404106 2002 flanges).

They have not tried their carbide bits yet, but are afraid they won't cut but will damage the pieces rendering them unusable. Has anyone run into this, and more importantly, does anyone have a solution for proper cutting other than just using standard flanges?

Thanks,

Fred 74tii & '69

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

do you really need those bigger studs? the M12 1.5 studs, even long ones, work fine in all kinds of really high horsepower newer bmw race cars.

not sure the tii drive flanges are hardened, but they are thicker than normal 02 flanges.

new tii flanges are big $$$ ( i just bought some..) i would not mess with them.

2xM3

Marshall--if they weren't hardened then they would have no problem reaming them, correct? Yes, they are expensive, but worth it to me. I prefer the 1/2" studs, that is what I am running on both my track cars.--Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I have compared them before and they are not exactly the same. The part numbers are different. I have had both cut before and the same shop now says these are harder and they can't cut them. I need some help here, not opinion or speculation....any metallurgists out there?

Thanks, Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Sorry .

(Sugg.List$ usabmwdealers)

33.41.1.101.848 2002 tii rear axle flange .......$275

33.41.3.404.106 2002 rear axle flange "..." ... $265

33.41.3.704.135 2002 turbo rear axle flange "..." $259

33.41.1.111.092 2002 turbo rear stub axle "..." $174

33.41.1.119.994 2002 turbo 30x58x16 ".. bearings.. $56 ea.

all are available as of 3/19/2013 in usa

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I will add a comment, even though I am not a metallurgist. You want to know if they are harder, have the shop put them on a Rockwell tester and check. You have them with a shop, they should have this extremely inexpensive equipment to check. If we all say they are soft or hard it doesn't really matter. Your shop says they are hard and they need to cut them. They do not sound like they want to do the job for you. I would be shocked if BMW made them so hard that carbide cutters could not do the job. You are stepping into a hardness that could be quite brittle. Of course they could be work hardened from a dull reaming tool or just surface treated.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Tii are thicker, I know for a fact. You can tell because the stud heads are recessed further..and rumor has it they are forged. But that's just what I have been told. - Maybe it was the Tii axles he was talking about.

For my rear disc set, I turned one down with a grinder and the car in 3rd.. took hours. The other, I had a shop do. Took 20$. They didn't complain..?

See the pic in the post, below.

http://1leadshoe.blogspot.com/2011/02/wheel-bearing-and-some-lsd.html

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have them Rockwell test the flanges. Very surprising since they did this exact job before with no problem. They are also doing my front 320i hubs for 1/2-20 threaded studs and did not have an issue with that.

EDIT: Rockwell Hardness came in at 57C. I had them drilling new holes offset 45° from the factory holes, instead they will try reaming the original holes. Wanted new holes since the Moroso stud root is a bit too deep for use with stock recesses, but can deal with this.

Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Hey Pete--Just your basic 2002/2002tii 33-41-1-116-776 side shafts. Just bought new ones for the '69 to go with the new flanges. Will have to come up with a schedule to magniflux or just replace them every xx track hours.

Best, Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)