Sign in to follow this  
Timmer

oh the relics found in an old house

8 posts / 854 viewsLast Reply

my folks house that is, built 1920; I'm doing some work in their basement, painting, concrete/mortar work as well and the final room of 6 rooms in their

basement I'm prepping now for paint; most of the basement has not been touched in the 43 years they've had the house, at least paint wise. So this last room I'm on now had 2 sections of of duct work that dad said has served no purpose since they've had the house and being a retired architect

he did mention what the ducting was there for but I can't recall; large diameter sections but short in length and each section came out pretty easily; one section ran to the ceiling, the other to one of the walls. After taking the sections out a couple of days ago, I gently tore a section of newspaper that was encased in some of the plaster/lath; newspaper was from June 6, 1930.

Watch out for the bodies in that last wall!!

Andy,

No signs of Hoffa! although interesting piece on 60 minutes I believe, last evening, last segment was on a hit man from Philly

Tim

quite common - newpaper insulation

predates Pink Panther spun glass fiber

it's the ASBETOSIS you need to fear!

You got it CD, on the newspaper and also asbestos; some pipes in their basement are wrapped in asbestos; 9" x 9" asbestos tiles were removed over the past months by myself and a brother of mine, removed very carefully, they actually came up very easily, most were loose and needed no effort to get them up, others just needed a 5 in one tool to slide under to

get those, the key is to not create any asbestos dust. I have 9" x 9" asbestos tiles in the basement of my house and also on the 2nd floor, house is a 1946 cape cod style.

Tim

In my parents house where the fridge sits on top of the subflooring there is a newspaper I can just barely see from the basement shop. One of these days I would love to dig it up. But I gotta go through linoleum, plywood, asbestos tiles, then finally to the bottom :P

I also get to see a handful of old newspapers at work from time to time. It's pretty cool!

The exterior of my house has the masonry/asbestos shingles, vertical grooves in the siding pieces; again, mid 1940's cape cod house and in the garage are some loose pieces of those shingles and also an unopened

bundle, almost 70 years old now, left over when the house was built. Those asbestos/masonry shingles have always been white and I repainted the house summer of 2003, piece of cake, only prepping was a little hose rinsing

of the exterior; used Benjamin Moore exterior white, still looks great. I think there are 3 houses on the street I'm on with the same type of shingles. My neighbor is one; gave him a couple of the loose shingles a few years ago as he had some damaged pieces, he did know to wet the shingles prior to cutting.

Tim