gorms70

Fuel gauge flickers below half tank

5 posts / 358 viewsLast Reply

I thought I had this one figured out. At a half tank or below the needle on the gas gauge will occasionally bounce rather erratically. After doing some searching on the forum I suspected a bad ground. I just replaced the tired old ground cable to the battery. I have confirmed that the ground is clean and solid to the cluster and even added a second one to the gauge itself. I have also tried two different gauges with the same result. What gives?

Guest Anonymous

Have you checked the wiring of the sender and the sender itelf.

That was my first thought. I took it out of the tank and tested it on my multi-meter and it checked out fine. I guess the issue might be between the sender and the gauge?

Mine does the same thing. My understanding was that the wire the sender's float runs on (to provide resistance for the gauge reading) can get corroded slightly, especially if the car sits for a while with less than a full tank. It may be possible to clean the wire, but it's very fragile and might break. I'm just living with mine until I get the gumption to try a cleaning (and replacement if it doesn't work).

-Dave

years ago I pulled out the sender unit from the tank to clean the filter, and I very gently cleaned the wires ..... didn't break one !!

seemed to help just a bit with gauge operation.

Cheers,

Carl