esty

uncle redux!

36 posts / 2620 viewsLast Reply

how do you remove the gear from the end of the distributor...i have never seen the gear end of a dizzy but steve says there's what looks like a drift pin that doesn't budge

it does. the Blue manual shows to drill out a split pin, if a solid pin it will punch out, but it is pressed in and needs a little angst with a mallet and punch. Do you need to need to replace or swap the gear? because from your previous post, the top sleeve over the advance plate does come out without removing the gear.

post-164-13667670180877_thumb.jpg

Are you sure you want to remove it? there are very few occasions where you would need to. I have torn apart quite a few dizzy's in my time but have never had to remove the drive gear.

303iq68.jpg

ok guys...i just got home from the office and took a pic...see the loose spring on one side and the round metal object on the left...the piece on the left appears to be on a spring that's bent and jam'd up...i don't know what it is or how it's supposed to look but from the looks of the spring, it appears that that solid pin on the left should be horizontal, with the end against the dizzy's inner housing instead of vertical

the roll pen looks solid to me...how to we remove the innards up top to get at the springs

Solid pin has been set and has like a solid rivit head. Need to drill it a little with a drill bit smaller than the pin, so you can expand the pin again when it is re-assembled. Expanding is done with a center punch in the drilled hold and a block on the opposite side to keep the pin from drifting out the other side.

You will need to drive the pin out with a drift punch that is about the size of the pin diameter to keep from expanding the pin head while trying to remove the pin. Might need a vise to hold the gear while the pin is driven. Avoid clamping the gear to the point of damaging it, but it is stout.

i found a used dizzy....we're just going to use it when we get it and forget trying to fix the broken one

thanks guys for the help

That's what I did with my old floor mats, esty. Instead of trying to fix 'em I just got some new ones from you. Sometimes that's the best course of action.

Cheers,

Bob Napier

esty - in that bmw manual page - look at the botom

photo of the exploded parts view - if you remove the felt

pad and pick out the tiny c ring - you then lift the entire

mechanical advance mech. out. The botom drive

gear stays put. All your trouble is with the top mechanical

advance mech. your picking out parts # 3, 4, 5,

Takes finesse

^^ what CD said. pluck out the felt with some tweezers and the little clip is under there. Having big fat clumsy fingers doesn't help (ask me how I know)

If the dizzy drive gear is a roll pin vs a solid one, I've had good luck removing one by drilling, using a bit that's slightly larger than the roll pin's ID. What will happen--as you drill down into the pin, the bit will usually grab the pin and start it rotating, when that happens you can just pull it out.

Or you can simply get the right sized punch, support the gear and start whanging away. Once the pin has started out, it'll go the rest of the way much easier.

cheers

mike

If the dizzy drive gear is a roll pin vs a solid one, I've had good luck removing one by drilling, using a bit that's slightly larger than the roll pin's ID. What will happen--as you drill down into the pin, the bit will usually grab the pin and start it rotating, when that happens you can just pull it out.

Or you can simply get the right sized punch, support the gear and start whanging away. Once the pin has started out, it'll go the rest of the way much easier.

cheers

mike

Esty,

What is the number on your distributor, if i have one (i have several laying around in good condition) and you want it, i'll send along for shipping $$ from 24210. not sure you can find the springs although a good rebuilder probably has them and that may be the way to go. just send it off to one of the rebuilders mentioned in several discussions and you'll get back a practically new unit and you still have option of buying a reconditioned unit (assuming you can find matching number dist.) yours looks like it may need more than just a bit of spray cleaner and compressed air.

Good luck

Gale H