Kpeters

Carb Dripping and play in axis

11 posts / 450 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys wanted your opinion on these 2 problems:

1-My car is very unstable at idle and even low revs, when you look inside of the venturi while the car is running in idle you can see it drips which I guess is what's causing the un-even idle.

A friend of mine said the shaft which is pretty loose is the one to blame what do you think? I tried to get info on repairing it here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,303321/

But the thread is gone.

2-The jet for the acceleration pump is squirting gas instead of pulverizing it. In order for it to really pulverize it I need to smack the gas and once it finished it drizzles a little. Do you think replacing the jet itself on the top of the car will do the trick? The piece in question is the one on the very top between the air jets that looks like a boomerang.

The carb has just been refreshed with new gaskets, diaphragms, cleaned etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: It's a Weber 32/36 DGV

For the unstable idle--first make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks other than the loose carb throttle spindle shaft. If you don't and the shaft has a lot of axial play, someone makes a kit to rebush the shaft. IIRC it involves drilling out the carb body to fit a brass bushing--if that's no longer available, you can always find a used (presumably this is a Weber) carb with a better (tighter) throttle shaft and transfer your jets & venturis to that body.

The accelerator pump nozzle is supposed to "squirt" a shot of gas down the carb throat--believe me that small amount (a couple of cc's) will be well atomized by the time it reaches the intake valves. So long as you are getting a healthy stream and not a couple of half-hearted drips, your accelerator pump diaphragm is OK.

cheers

mike

Linky no worky.

What carb? What type of fuel pump?

Did you replace the needle and seat as a matching pair? Float adjusted?

-Carb is a webber 32/36 *updated post above with that sorry*

-Fuel Pump is the mechanical one stock short neck.

-Needle and seat are a matching pair

-Float is correctly adjusted

The accelerator pump nozzle is supposed to "squirt" a shot of gas down the carb throat--believe me that small amount (a couple of cc's) will be well atomized by the time it reaches the intake valves. So long as you are getting a healthy stream and not a couple of half-hearted drips, your accelerator pump diaphragm is OK.

cheers

mike

That's interesting well it does squirt if I do it slowly and if I do it fast it will atomize but the thing is sometimes it drizzles a bit after squirting (this is starting to sound weird) haha.

Aside from this issue the carb is also dripping while at idle. Any idea where I can find those bushings? I take replacing only the shaft will be a waste of time?

Reuse the shafts if they are straight and not worn. If they are bent and/or worn, replace them as well.

Also, the venturies in the top of the carb. Make sure that they are tight. They should not move at all in there. You can use a shim to keep it tight. Just put the shim on the non-feed side so it will not block the flow of fuel.

the venturies in the top of the carb. Make sure that they are tight. They should not move at all in there. You can use a shim to keep it tight. Just put the shim on the non-feed side so it will not block the flow of fuel.

That's interesting now that you mention it they do budge a little. Would that influence the dripping problem I have?