Dejammey

Headlights only like to wink.

6 posts / 497 viewsLast Reply

So the other day my headlights started acting weird. Only one side will stay on at a time depending on if I have it high beams or low. If the high beams are on the drivers side light comes on, Once I switch back to low beams the passenger side lights come on. I cleaned the relay connectors to see if that helps. I did a search on faq but nothing came up.

Anyone know where I should start diagnosing this problem?

Thanks,

Chad

Or just hope some foxy lady winks back.

Bob Napier

but later roundies have individually fused low beams, but no fuses for high beams. Finally in '74 they fused both low and high beams.

So depending on year, check fuses first, then suspect the lo-hi beam steering colum stalk. Only squarelights have relays in the headlight wiring, so those switches carry a lot of current and can go wonky with age.

cheers

mike

The turn signal stalk/high beam switch on the steering column is the prime culprit. Mine blinked & worked intermittently till I got a used on on the FAQ. Easy fix DIY job, even I got it right!

Thanks guys. I am in the garage working on it now. Ill test out everything you guys recommended.