Sign in to follow this  
TonyHavana

Anyone know Peter Egan personally?

10 posts / 819 viewsLast Reply

Many years ago I had a photo published in Road & Track and Egan wrote the caption.

Well, thanks to a thread on here a couple of years ago, it came to my attention that people actually remember that old photo. (454atii, Eurotrash, JLenham).

And even more recently I learned that it is iconic in the Ferrari world.

So much so that the Ferrari crowd has asked me to do a limited edition, signed print of it, and i would like to include the caption, as it was a big part of the joke. Just want to get Peter Egan's blessing.

Or should I just not worry about it, as I've also learned that R&T has published the picture several times over the years, and not given me a credit, or payment.

Thanks

post-1307-13667670025929_thumb.jpg

the business question is, is the photo copyrighted, if so who owns it

you might have given away any rights to the pic that you may have had

R&T had permission to publish it once, and they paid me. As far a copyright, I haven't copyrighted it, but I took it and have the negs, so as far as I'm concerned, I own it. Isn' that correct?

R&T had permission to publish it once, and they paid me. As far a copyright, I haven't copyrighted it, but I took it and have the negs, so as far as I'm concerned, I own it. Isn' that correct?

Possession is 9/10ths of the law!

if you took the pic and own the neg i'd say you can do anything you want without anyone's blessings

i missed that you took & own the pic in your original post...

I remember the picture; I thought that it pre-dated Peter Egan's employment with R &T....just as a by the way...

As to who owns the copyright of the image, it depends on exactly what the paperwork from them said as to what they purchased...When you cashed the check, possession may have been signed away (the rights), or you may have given them a one time opportunity...If no longer have the paperwork, they will probably claim ownership, since they did publish the image..even though they gave you credit...God lives in the details..or the devil does. Maybe the photographer on our board ("F1reverb" or something like that...used to do freelance work with R&T..) is still with us, and will chime in...

I always thought that it would make a great poster as well...nice shot. I wish you well.

Dave V. in NC

Many years ago I had a photo published in Road & Track and Egan wrote the caption.

Well, thanks to a thread on here a couple of years ago, it came to my attention that people actually remember that old photo. (454atii, Eurotrash, JLenham).

And even more recently I learned that it is iconic in the Ferrari world.

So much so that the Ferrari crowd has asked me to do a limited edition, signed print of it, and i would like to include the caption, as it was a big part of the joke. Just want to get Peter Egan's blessing.

Or should I just not worry about it, as I've also learned that R&T has published the picture several times over the years, and not given me a credit, or payment.

Thanks

I remember this well, this guy seemed the epitome of cool to my young eyes with his nonchalant attitude towards an unfortunate incident.

Good tires Bob mused, while casually lighting a cigarette, but certainly not great tires.

Earl

Well I got hold of Peter Egan's mailing address and sent him a letter.

Now to see if he responds. I believe Egan had just started with R&T around this time, but not sure if he was on staff or not

If anyone is interested in an approx. 11"X 18" very high quality print of this pic, it is now available and selling fast over at Ferraricchat.

Just want to make sure my own BMW friends have the opportunity to own one, as the Ferraristas say an "Iconic" image.

Their words, not mine.

You can reach me at tonyhavana 'at' mac.com for details.

Thanks