fast2002

How to remove floor and back panel tar?

9 posts / 959 viewsLast Reply

I have been grinding and sanding for a while and what a slow process trying to remove the tar for welding. I heard of dry ice but are there other methods before I try and locate some dry ice. Thanks

The best method I have used is a heat gun and a simple scraper. Get the tar hot (no open flame its flamable), and it slides right up. I know some people use goofy off, you will get high, to cleanup tar resadue. Some grocery stores cary dry ice by the way.. if you have any left over google dry ice and soda bottle..... warning the cops will show up.

Good luck

The best method I have used is a heat gun and a simple scraper. Get the tar hot (no open flame its flamable), and it slides right up.

+1

I used every method described in the posts. By far the best is a heat gun and scraper.

+1

...and thick gloves and a respirator...

The dry ice will take some of it off, sometimes.

And it's fun.

When that's done,

it's time

for the heat gun.

Son.

hee

t

(anybody want a peanut?)

Heat the opposite side of the metal with a heat gun, or leave a heat lamp on the opposite side for a bit. The trick really is to heat only the tar touching metal, that way it comes up in large relatively clean clumps. Take the residue off with a wire brush or similar.

+1 for dry ice. I tried a heat gun and it made a huge mess for me. The dry ice was straight-forward. Let it sit and hit the tar with a hammer.

Dry ice can be had much easier than you think, I actually got mine from a drive thru about 3 miles from my house. Just google it, you'll find some.