jayamasaki

steel wheels

7 posts / 921 viewsLast Reply

was browsing through all the previous threads, write ups and what not.

for the money, value, and quality should I :

have my wheels sand blasted (professionally), then primer, paint and finish them myself ? (rattle can)

or should i have them sand blasted, and powder coated.

just my regular steel wheels, 13"inchers, with the small dog dish caps nothing special. Just wanted some opionions. I guess im just worried about them looking funny if i powder coat them and they look wrong.

Depending on the thickness of the powder coat, it could give you trouble installing the wheel covers. Have them blasted, then prime and hit them with the Krylon "dull aluminum" followed with clear. Cheaper, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

What about powder coating do you think would make them look bad?

You can always do it yourself so you are in control of the whole process just make sure you give it enough layers so they won't be chipped easily.

Happy with my home made work. They were white from the PO. Cleaned em, light sanding, Krylon paint. Have held up well now for a year plus.

post-18106-13667669908191_thumb.jpg

post-18106-13667669908287_thumb.jpg

Thanks for input guys, i think i may go ahead and have them sand blasted and primed and i'll paint them.

I used high temp engine paint, color Aluminum. 3 rattle cans did all 5 wheels with some spare.

I also put them in an old oven at 300deg F for 30 mins each. No chips or scratches after 2 tire changes.

Worked for me. Beaner7102

I blasted and powder-coated mine. Very happy with the look. I too was concerned about the color, i got as close as I could and with the "break" in color from the fender to the rim, it wasn't and issue.

Bill

post-18106-13667669928257_thumb.jpg