Sign in to follow this  
mcibmw

How do I tell if a 245/5 is the smaller 3 piece unit?

3 posts / 616 viewsLast Reply

I'm looking at a 245 / 5 speed from what I believe is a 1979 e21. It is an original Alpina car that had an m30 swapped into it. I'm looking for the "3 Piece" 245/5 but am not quite sure what I'm looking for to tell the difference. I was told these 3 piece units have a slightly smaller bellhousing and are a little stronger. After some research on here as well as google, I haven't come to any solid conclusions and was hoping some more seasoned BMW veterans might be able to weigh in. Is this at all related to the difference between the 3 and 4 bolt bellhousing? I'll be putting this into a custom built chassis (long story) where space is at a premium so the smaller the transmission the better. The transmission is about 5 minutes from my house so I can easily swing by to grab photos of it or look for any particular numbers stamped on it, as long as I know what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Micah

As requested, here's some photos I took of the transmission.

I observed the following numbers as seen in the photos below:

DIN 158

There is also a 79/80 date stamp.

If anyone has any information what these numbers indicate, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Micah

post-232-13667670064463_thumb.jpg

post-232-13667670066095_thumb.jpg

post-232-13667670070538_thumb.jpg

post-232-13667670072959_thumb.jpg

post-232-13667670074596_thumb.jpg