NewTo02s

Ignition coil help

5 posts / 632 viewsLast Reply

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine gave me one of these http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-ignition/02igcoilHP.html and I am wondering if I can put it in my car without any problems, I have a '76 with what seems to be a regular distributor (no vacuum line though). I have searched to forum and am a little confused about ohms and voltage. My current ignition coil is black with an orange top. If I can use this can I just bolt it on or do I have to modify my wiring somehow (add or remove a resistor)

Thanks for the help

Vince

Since it came from Ireland Engineering have you thought about asking them? They know 2002s very well.

Bob Napier

That coil should work fine as a stock replacement if you have the resistor. Since your car is a 76 then your resistor is a wire that runs to the positive terminal of the coil, if your original wiring is intact then you should have a wire with clear insulation going to the coil, that is your resistor wire, if that wire has been replaced then you will need to add a resistor to get approx 3 ohms at the coil (either find a resistor wire or get a resistor from an earlier model).

From the link, it looks like two are available, one is for an external resistor set up at 1.5 ohms and another that has an internal resistor (3.0 ohms.) So I think the question is, which one do you have. Either will work fine, but the need for an external resistor is the question. It is less then ideal, but you can run the external resistor in line with an internal resistor coil with out causing problems. Not sure if you can run a non-internal resistor coil without the external resistor without running the risk of burning up some components.

Thanks guys, got it all sorted out. Installed new plug wires and distributor (points, rotor, condenser) cars running much better.