ryansti

installed the IE Stainless Exhaust on my 1600

22 posts / 1546 viewsLast Reply

I finally decides to order the IE exhaust for the 1600. I always liked the factory side exit over the center exhaust. I placed my order at the end of last week and it came yesterday. Install took about 25 minutes. The nice part was that it comes with all the hardware including the gaskets to connect to the downpipe along with new hangers. The overall fit and finish was great. It has a nice deep tone. I think that for $325 there probably isn't a nicer bolt on stainless exhaust for our cars.

post-6684-1366766984001_thumb.jpg

I just did the same on my 1600 and have the down pipe very close to the passenger foot well. Is yours the same? Other than that it was an easy install for me too.

I just did the same on my 1600 and have the down pipe very close to the passenger foot well. Is yours the same? Other than that it was an easy install for me too.

You may want to check your engine and transmission mounts. The front subframe near the steering box is another known weak point after 40 years.

Would new mounts push the engine up or down? It will have to go down for more clearance.

You may want to check your engine and transmission mounts. The front subframe near the steering box is another known weak point after 40 years.

Would new mounts push the engine up or down? It will have to go down for more clearance.

I had an IE stainless steel exhaust on my former 89 E30 325i. Who needs a stereo, that exhaust note was music to the ears...

G-Man

I have an older model IE exhaust on my 1600(two resonators). I absolutely love it, sound, look, everything. And you can`t beat the price for a stainless anything, much less a full exhaust. Mine came with the car, but I wouldn`t have a problem buying another.

Guest Anonymous

Curious

Aside from the fact that its easy to install. Good fit. Great sound..Did you guys get any enhancement on performance.....

Curious

ira

unless someone dyno'd their car before and after, and documented what the old system was, there will be no evidence of any performance change.

Guest Anonymous

I hear what you're saying but I will say not exactly....WE tinker so much with our cars that WE would know if a tweak WE made, was a good tweak...so, using the ear to ear smile test...you know like when you/I installed synclink is a valid gauge....that's all I'm wondering...

Shade tree stuff...no dunk needed..

ira

Guest Anonymous

Oops Smart phone...

No dyno needed......

ira

butt dyno's are notoriously wrong. more noise + more smile + feels better + i spent money on new toy so it must be good, does not = more power. I have done things to my cars that "felt" better but caused slower lap times on track. ooops! :-)

regardless, from what i have seen of the IE systems, they are nicely done, priced well, EZ, and look and sound great! excellent choice for a stock 2002 system replacement.