bmw2002tiidriver

That could have been bad...

7 posts / 866 viewsLast Reply

So I recently put on a set of ATS Cups that are et28, so I had an engineering friend of mine make some 3mm spacers to put on to get the offset right. I put the wheels on and got an alignment, and shortly after I noticed a significant steering wheel shake. I thought to myself I'll look at it next time I'm home in Greenville (I go to school in Clemson). Not too long after that, I noticed a shaking in my butt. Seeing as my hips don't lie (and after doing some research) I thought my center support bearing on the driveshaft was bad. So I drove around like this to and from work here on back roads with some twisties for TWO WEEKS. After returning home this weekend (going 80 down the highway mind you), I went to take off my wheels so I could get to the rear bolts of the driveshaft. I noticed that the bolts were loose. Very loose. I-could-take-them-off-with-my-fingers loose. I guess that little spacer didn't allow the lug nuts to grab. Thankfully, the wheels are straight so I can run them without a spacer. Lesson learned, and I'm glad to be alive and well.

I preach at work (we restore old cars ) " start the job finish the job" don't in your case, put the wheels on & go have a drink, bite to eat ,answer the phone etc. Tighten the lug nuts properly with the wheel on the ground, tighten the rod bolts , finish torquing the head bolts etc etc, your distracted , & can forget what you had not finished & a disaster can occur, a few minutes won't kill you but a wheel falling off might .

Here endeth the lesson ;)

+1 above , if something isnt right when you first notice it ....fix it now dont keep driving till it falls off .

You should really get some long studs if you're still using the stock lug nuts, too.

Every so often, you just miss something.

It happens.

One thing I''ve noticed with spacers, though, is that it''s smart to recheck the

torque 2 or 3 times not long after mounting a wheel onto the car. Sometimes

they''re just a bit loose, sometimes completely tight, and sometimes they

loosen quite a bit.

Once they stop loosening, though, they don''t seem to go anywhere after that.

What I''ve found,

t'

I often forget things so I have to be super careful when I'm working on the car. I haven't caused a catastrophic failure at least not yet but Ive had my scares.

Checklists work too get organized as well.