Thevilla

anyone running stock 4 1/2 steelies and rear brake question

7 posts / 498 viewsLast Reply

performed a site search but haven't found a solid answer to my questions.

1) can I run 185/70-13 tires on the stock 4 1/2 x13 wheels? Would like anyone to chime in with their opinions.

2) will the 320i larger rear drum brakes work with these wheels?

Thanks,

Rob

1.yes.. pushing it, but yes.

2.yes

Tom, if you're FB enabled and haven't already, join our group. Its in my signature. If you have joined, and I have forgotten, don't judge me.. :)

I can positively say that 320i rear drums do not fit inside 4.5x13" steelies without a 5mm spacer. I found this out the hard way, plus, the extra oomph in the rear causes a brake imbalance with the potential for RT rear lockup with no passengers or cargo. At least on my 68 with single circuit brakes. I also discovered this the hard way.

True 165R13 are still available from Vredestein, (Sprint+) or get any 165/80/13 you can find without a whitewall.

Ben

Hm. Guess maybe its a late car thing? We put them on a 76 and the steel wheel fit.. Sold the car before any performance issues were discovered...

I'll retract my statement for the sake of variables.

Eurotrash, -- I didnt think of this bedore but there were several 4.5" wheel manufacturers, they may have had sight differences and yours cleared the 250mm drums but my 68 production didn't. In my case, I forced them and the drums got stuck inside the wheels--it was very close.

Ben