Colin

EDIS Wheel + JB Weld Failure

8 posts / 1120 viewsLast Reply

I'll post pics once I get things pulled apart, but my JB Welded EDIS trigger wheel just failed today at a very inconvenient time. I drive the car daily and have had it on for 4 years. Obviously it is not a long term solution!

I have one of these on the way now:

http://www.02again.com/?page_id=358

I am running Tom's crank pulley; it's a damn fine piece of work!

Thanks. I have been eyeing it for quite a while as all his other stuff that I have is great but I figured, "Hell, the JB Weld has held up fine for all these years..."

Well I can now confidently say that the JB Weld isn't really a feasible solution if you drive the car often or if the engine is seeing lots of high revs.

Colin

Hope everything is ok and nothing was damaged!!

I am running Toms wheel too... sort of. It is sitting on my desk waiting to be installed.... It is truly a thing of beauty! Tom does excellent work...

I added a 2nd pulley with an aluminum spacer and it will run my AC.

No JB metal weld, just bolts and locktite red... JB is impressive but it is not very good with heat nor do I trust it over a weld or machine bolt.

I am running Tom's crank pulley and sensor mount; it's a damn fine piece of work!

I'll second that notion! easily one of the prettiest parts on my car.

I added a 2nd pulley with an aluminum spacer and it will run my AC.

No JB metal weld, just bolts and locktite red... JB is impressive but it is not very good with heat nor do I trust it over a weld or machine bolt.

Can you post any more info on this? Ayers would be great. The lack of an A/C pulley option has been preventing me from going with Tom's pulley. I'd love to see/hear how you got around it!

So I got Tom's pulley. I ordered it Friday and it came Monday but I didn't get a chance to install it until today.

It works great! My engine actually runs smoother than ever. It is actually smoother than I could ever imagine it would be, especially at high revs. I can go all the way to the redline and it is butter smooth. I logged the signal from the pulley's sensor and it is much stronger now. My theory is that it gets a better signal from the nice steel that Tom's trigger wheel uses.

Two notes:

The smaller pulley means your belt might be a little slack. I had to adjust my tension to the max and it is still a LITTLE bit more slack than I'd like.

Also, if you have a 30mm socket with thick walls, it won't fit inside the opening on the pulley. I couldn't use my deep socket and had to use a regular one (no biggie).

So in summary:

JB Weld:

Don't.

Tom's pulley:

Do.