• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk basket, any interest in reproduction?

swift53

Don't want to be a wet blanket but.... it appears Mr Swift is from El Salvador and has 5 previous posts since 2011. Not hating, but just a small concern...

It will surely increase the shipping costs if nothing else...

I will put my internet police badge down now and go back to my little hole...

Sir, you do confuse me. I really do not see what my posting number or my country of residence, if at all, has any bearing in my query for opinions regarding fellow 2002 owners, about a most rare part.

Which by the way, if I were to carry on with the project, I do not think it will promote towards my retiring in MonteCarlo, so you can rest easy about 'grandiose' internet scams.

How about I change my place of residence to Uzbekistan?

The rest of the fellows, thank you for the kind feedback. The repros will definitely be made out of fibreglass, as the only way to keep cost at a sane level, and don't anybody out there worry too much, all the shipping will be from the USA. I will post photos of the repros once the prototyping is done.

The truth of the matter, this project is due to a very kind friend that lent me his original $1,000 trunk basket, purchased in Germany, and by his own words, nearly impossible to find, so I could make a copy for myself for the 2002 I just started restoring, and some extras for other "passionate" owners.

Regards, Alberto

I'd be interested if they were of something like vacuum formed plastic. I have zero interest in a fiberglass one due to durability.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I'd be interested if they were of something like vacuum formed plastic. I have zero interest in a fiberglass one due to durability.

+1 for plastic. Just my family alone you'd sell three.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the feedback. It is impossible to make them out of plastic. Period.

The mould would cost a fortune to make and based on the number of the interested parties, it would not make any financial sense.

So, fiberglass it is, and will be.

It also will be very sturdy, extremely well made, as all things we make, and if anyone has seen the original plastic item, they are not the epitome of strength.

Next week, the mould will be ready and will post some photos for all to see.

Regards, Alberto

• 3 weeks later...

The first prototype is finished and looks pretty good.

Next week, we will make another one, and also one in black.

There was no choice but make the inside of the mold as the original and the outside with the glass visible.

The original, was made with two moulds, way too industrial and thermally formed.

Possibly shooting some gelcoat on the outside will improve the finish.

I must say though, overall I am very satisfied.

Regards, Alberto

post-20617-13667671312856_thumb.jpg

post-20617-1366767131464_thumb.jpg

This is the first proto.

The inside is smooth as the original, and the outside the glass can be seen.

We'll try some gelcoat on the outside and most likely will improve.

This part was originally thermo-formed using two moulds, one male and one female....$$$$$$$$$$$$

Will also try one in black.

Overall I am quite pleased.

Cost, not certain yet, but most likely at least $300 + shipping, if I decide to make a production run, as still not certain about if it makes sense.

Regards, Alberto

post-20617-13667671316278_thumb.jpg

post-20617-13667671317832_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am quite pleased to report we produced 7 trunk baskets and they are located in Marin County near San Francisco.

They will sell for $340 each + shipping.

The boxing with bubblewrap are included in the $340.

Please pm me at: alberto.guirola at gmail.com

Regards, Alberto

Edited by swift53

geez, fiberglass is PLENTY durable if made with several layers of cloth (sez the guy with years of surfboard and boat glassing experience).  An added plus is that it's repairable, whereas ABS will be really really difficult to fix if cracked.

Motorcycle fairings should be plastic, not fiberglass (thanks BMW for making 'glass fairings for my two bikes...)