Napes

P/N for concave washer directly below the strut bearing?

9 posts / 612 viewsLast Reply

In the RealOEM/bmwfans.info diagrams what I think is shown at the location of the concave washer directly below the strut bearing it's listed as a "flat washer".

NE1 know the correct P/N? And are these still available thru the usual sources - Blunt, dealer, etc.?

When my son and I installed new Bilstein HDs on the front of my wife's '76 last weekend we found that in the past someone had installed one of the concave washers upside-down and it's hammered nearly flat. I want to get the correct washer in there.

It is Item #1 in this diagram provided by c.d. Scroll down 14 posts to the second posting by c.d.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,374762/view,previous/sid,d0931dd68b3fd0e28b8b95183a6373ae/

Thanks,

Bob Napier

The parts book (diagram 31/5 dated 7/76) shows it as a flat washer, unlike CDs picture.

Part # 07 11 9 931 089

Thanks for the info, guys. Dealership says that P/N has been superseded by P/N 07 11 9 905 829, which is a flat washer used on the front suspension of lots of the newer BMWs and cost 65¢, so I ordered one for each side.

Bob Napier

Maybe the newer cars use a sealed bearing and the concave feature is not required. If there is still the open bearing in your car, this is a dust shield also. If CD says it is a good number, I wonder about a flat washer.

original number still has a price listing in the system

which means it's available from germany - you

might ask your parts man NOT to supersede

and order you the original number

07 11 9 931 089 Washer

SS TO 07 11 9 900 530 Washer Newer

SS TO 07 11 9 905 829 Washer Newest

good luck ordering the 829 - you'll just have

to wait and see what is sent

in my opinion, Item 1 is not so much a "washer" as it is a Grease Retainer/Seal thingie. It cups up & around the bearing to act as a grease retainer.

when I reassemble that item in my '74tii I "fill" it with a "large amount" of grease. When the strut is reassembled into the car, you'll see that grease could flow/drip down out of the bearing .... IMHO, that piece helps retain the grease in the bearing.

Cheers,

Carl

your right Carl - and if the strut bearing is open,

not sealed on the bottom then a felt ring goes between

the concave and bearing to keep dirt and water from splashing

up into the bearing

Napes,

I knew I had one, just couldn't find it on Sat. Turned over some junk on the workbench today and there it was. It's used but it's yours if you still need. Send an email.