PatrickMTL

Seat Belt City

17 posts / 3499 viewsLast Reply

I need front seat belts for my '73, and this is the place I found that seems to offer what appear to be OEM-looking units at good prices. Has anybody had any experience dealing with them? Has anybody got a better suggestion for black belts for my car? Oh ya, one last thing; can anyone tell me WHERE I mount them? There is no mounting hole under the rear seat, is it possible that in 1973 there were lap belts only? Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

You really need to talk to Al (bluedevils) on this forum. He has forgotten more about 02 seat belts than most of us will ever know. I run a set of his belts and I'm quite happy with them.

And yes, they mount behind the front seat along the frame rail (at least mine do) and up on the B-pillar.

Talk to bluedevils he may be dukie but he knows '02 belts. Love the set I bought from him.

Sorry, meant dookie. My bad.

After all, it is THE university in North Carolina.

And, Harvard is the Duke of the South...

cheers

mike

Trinity, Class of '66

Al's a great resource.

On the VW forum I'm on, many are using the humvee belt which is a pretty good fit on the early bugs. These cars used the same belt as the '02s, so these should work. They are only $18 per set new. About $40-45 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-KIT-HMMWV-M998-HUMVEE-M35-M35A2-M35A3-3-POINT-SEATBELT-LOWEST-PRICE-/321068662396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac12efe7c&vxp=mtr

Byas

THANK YOU for posting the ebay link.

I have need all over the net trying to find

belts for my 73 that are not hundreds of

bucks juz cause they have a logo and are

for an old BMW.

You rock, sir.

Regards,

Rick G

73 02

You really need to talk to Al (bluedevils) on this forum. He has forgotten more about 02 seat belts than most of us will ever know. I run a set of his belts and I'm quite happy with them.

And yes, they mount behind the front seat along the frame rail (at least mine do) and up on the B-pillar.

+1 I run Al's belts in my 73. They are great and correct for your car.

From what I've read those are good quality American made belts. I do not have any first hand experience. Perhaps Al will know.

BTW, the actual bill of material cost of most belts is less than $5.

Byas

From what I've read those are good quality American made belts. I do not have any first hand experience. Perhaps Al will know.

Byas[/quote

Those ebay belts are made in Mexico. Old stock, circa late 90s early 2000s. Fits VWs because they are the same belts EPI sells for 100 bucks each for da beattle. Designed by US Key Safety Systems (formerly Allied Corp who owned Klippan once). Webbing is a little short for a 2002, but if you are a tall guy they will work OK. Female buckles are also too short and would need an extension bracket. I now carry new Autoliv (German) seat belts (limited quantities) which is way better than any old seat belts or Chinese shit in the market, and also better than those made by Martinez as mentioned above.

HTH.

Reviving another old thread to add my experience.

I needed some replacement three point seat belts and I needed them within a week to enjoy the car with my wife one last weekend before putting her in storage. I wanted to order from Al, but with the time constraint and the fact that my wife wanted a "store" with information on the safety testing, I went with SeatBeltPlanet.com

The seat belts look great and fit in really well. The self-locking mechanism (you pull quickly and it locks) is maybe a bit too sensitive though. 

many are using the humvee belt which is a pretty good fit on the early bugs. These cars used the same belt as the '02s, so these should work. They are only $18 per set new.

[/url]Byas

Makes me wonder if someone stole a few cases of them from a military warehouse somewhere, especially at that price.

Makes me wonder if someone stole a few cases of them from a military warehouse somewhere, especially at that price.

It's not hard to get a massive amount of military surplus for dirt cheap. I've been through some of the surplus centers before as a kid, and it's overwhelming and super cheap if you have the right permissions to buy.

With that said, I also had good luck with seatbelt planet for my truck, which never had seatbelts from the factory. They are a bit catchy though when pulling them down. I went with al for my 02s seat belts, and they work better.

Byas[/quote

Those ebay belts are made in Mexico. Old stock, circa late 90s early 2000s. Fits VWs because they are the same belts EPI sells for 100 bucks each for da beattle. Designed by US Key Safety Systems (formerly Allied Corp who owned Klippan once). Webbing is a little short for a 2002, but if you are a tall guy they will work OK. Female buckles are also too short and would need an extension bracket. I now carry new Autoliv (German) seat belts (limited quantities) which is way better than any old seat belts or Chinese shit in the market, and also better than those made by Martinez as mentioned above.

HTH.

Bluedevils, where do you sell the seat belts you mentioned?  Link?

Bluedevils, where do you sell the seat belts you mentioned?  Link?

I think you need to PM him