Sign in to follow this  
dansacto13

New battery drained

7 posts / 439 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone...things are moving alone in getting my 74' running good, but there is always something. Now is the battery. I put a brad new one a week ago and even the same day the car would hesitate to start. I followed the advise from previous posts on the same issue, Í did a 'parasitic test', I tested the battery itself, I checked for voltage drain, I checked all cables and connections, and a few other things.....but it would still happen.

My mechanic, who just did a tune up and compression test (not related to this) tells me that my 'starter' might be bad, that its pulling too much from the battery. I have had this car only for a month now, so I don't know how old the starter is.

Is there a way to test the starter?

Would a starter do this?

Thanks again for all your help..

Dan..

Confirm that the battery is charged during pick up with a load test etc. oftentimes these days the stores count on using your alternator to charge the battery which is wrong as it destroys the diodes in the alternator. Hopefully your is ok. Imagine a 140 amp alt in a 750 IL v 12 alternator smelling like burning wires $$ ask me how I felt when they did that on that one.

The alternator/regulator should also be tested for operation/output. Also The mechanic should have performed starter draw test to confirm dragging starter.

Keep us posted..good luck!

Hi Mike. Thank you for your reply. How is the weather in Florida? Here in California is great right now.....well, for winter season anyway.

My mechanic reports the starter to be drawing in the 300's. That's pretty high, so he has a point. The alternator seems fine. I disconnected the battery and car runs fine. I'm not sure about the regulator.

How much am I looking at for a new starter? This thing is starting to add up...this last week alone, new master and slave clutch cylinder (plus my labor), new battery, $135 for tune up and compression test, ballast, rubber cover for clutch cylinder, wire harness. ...

Next week I'll be looking into a 'gap' on the steering box when turning right, new brakes, and new exhaust. ....but hey...who is counting..right?

I'll keep you posted.

Dan..

Dan,

once you get all the little "distractions" tended to and are up and running strong .....

Head east on the 50, then the Hwy 49 twisties south to Sonora ..... then north to I-80. You'll understand what the 2002 is all about.

Cheers,

Carl

Replace your starter, it should draw about 100 amps. I have an M3 starter (permanent magnet) on my engine and it draws about 75 amps.

Hi Carl,

I know exactly the spot (sounded like a woman). I have ridden those roads many times. First with my BMW F650GS and then with my Volvo S60R (300hp, Brembos, AWD). One time I swapped cars with my friend's Corvette, and i have to say the Volvo handled way better. Fun times!!!! There is nothing like it on a early spring day, just like today.

Now, 'm not sure if my 74' will ever give that feeling. At least not the way it is now (stock). I would love to take a 'modified' one down there. (motor, suspension, gears, breaks).

If you are in the area let's hook up..

Regards,

Dan...

Hello Dan,

The starter can be had 350.00 from bmw w 50.00 core charge. They can also be of the e30 m3 variant most faq`rs like to upgrade to currently with decent results. Autozone has for the M3 122.00 and **60.00** wow for the 2002 starter.

Hey you dont want to skimp on reliability right?

What is the gap with the steering??

For safety you may want to check, or the mechanic look into that steering "gap" to isolate a front suspension part problem.

Keep us posted. Good luck The weather is wonderful upper sixties clear skies and perfect for working on 2002`s.