NullZwei

Need tips from the resto experts for reinstalling trim clips

4 posts / 391 viewsLast Reply

My 02 just had a re-spray so I'll be needing to re-install the trim clips. In looking at the holes for said clips, there seems to be some paint build up around their edges. Rather than just forcing the clips in place which will no doubt chip this excess paint away and possibly cause future rust issues, do any of the restoration experts have any tips for doing this job properly? It may also be a good idea while doing this job to seal the clips to the body. Do the paper gaskets supplied with the clips do the job or is there a better way?

My clips came with rubber washers that fit next to the body. Should fit with little effort unless you have a lot of buildup. If so, just ream the hole and cover with paint from a small brush, let dry and move to the next project.

I learned the hard way that the after market clips do not fit well. Call Blunt to get the OEM ones and you will be much better off.

that inserts into the hole in the bodywork. A plastic peg fits into this hole. This allows you to carefully insert the clip (use a little silicone grease) into the hole, then press the peg into the hole in the clip. That way you don't force the clip into the hole, possibly chipping the paint.

I suspect the aftermarket clips aren't made this way....get the OEM clips; they're cheap insurance.

mike