joshkrahn

Seat Repair Options

14 posts / 5106 viewsLast Reply

I've read bunches of threads regarding seat repair/restoration/replacement, but I'm gonna clutter the forum with a new one ;)

My stock front seats are in pretty decent shape, except for some ugliness on the bottom of the driver side:

tear_it_up.jpg

Tactics discussed in other threads run the gamut:

- duct tape

- denim iron-on

- repair with OEM-look patch

- replace with new cover

- screw it, buy Recaros

I'm afraid this seat might be too far gone for the duct tape technique, but I'm not ready to spend $$ on a set of new covers from WorldUph either. It's not that I need to be stingy, just that there's other parts to throw money at right now that take priority. Plus, I prefer to repair when possible, rather than replace.

Does anyone sell a sew-in panel for the seat bottom? If I find a source for the basketweave vinyl, would a local upholsterer be able to match the look (what are stitched lines called)?

What would y'all do for a mostly stock daily driver?

Thanks,

Josh

I would also try a request for an old seat bottom or old seat with good covering in the WTB section. Should be cheap and still original (and better than duct tape)

I know I'm straying from what I think you want to do, but check out Craigslist and buy a pair of dark grey/black/dark blue, cloth Honda/Acura seats from the mid 90's for $50-100. It's "half-a" bolt-in job (the rear bolts anyway), and isn't too difficult to rig the front anchor bolts. Your back will thank you on those long trips, and your ass won't sweat during the summer. There are enough threads on this subject here on FAQ...

You won't have to alter the mount points (maybe drill a hole), but so easy to put the stock seats back if you want.... See it as a temporary solution till you get a better idea on how to get your OEM seats figured out, or just keep 'em... Good luck...

BMW and World Upholstery (and others, no doubt) still sell the German vinyl, in black, marine blue, and tan, I believe. A yard of the perforated vinyl -- I believe that's the minimum -- should easily be sufficient for a decent upholstery shop to stitch in as a replacement solely for the pleated area. This would be an easy and relatively inexpensive attractive solution.

But, I freely admit that scope creep could be an issue. If I were doing this project, I'd be tempted to replace the horsehair pad. And, if your old vinyl is brittle, the act of replacing that center area of pleated perforated vinyl could lead to needed replacements among the smooth vinyl panels. You could take the seat to an upholstery shop, say you only want to fix what needs to be fixed, and listen to his/her judgement on the condition of the seat bottom.

Steve

Same problem with my '69...except it was my own fault--sat down in the seat with a screwdriver in my back pocket.

Easiest fix--find a back seat in the same color--should be easy to find a rear seat back that's sun rotted at the top and therefore pretty useless--you'll find the rest of the upholstery will be in great shape. Any good auto upholstery shop should be able to use material from the back seat to make a new piece for your front seat cushion. Nice benefit: the material will have aged the same and will match perfectly.

Did that on both my 02s and the "new" material in the driver's seat cushion is working just fine...just make sure the shop re-stuffs the cushion with new padding before installing the upholstery.

cheers

mike

Josh,

Are your seats black? If so, I've got perfect vinyl from a front passenger seat. Both the bottom and back. Would sell it to you for $50 shipped. Shoot me an email if interested. jdaniels (at) uga (dot) edu

I know I'm straying from what I think you want to do, but check out Craigslist and buy a pair of dark grey/black/dark blue, cloth Honda/Acura seats from the mid 90's for $50-100. It's "half-a" bolt-in job (the rear bolts anyway), and isn't too difficult to rig the front anchor bolts. Your back will thank you on those long trips, and your ass won't sweat during the summer. There are enough threads on this subject here on FAQ...

You won't have to alter the mount points (maybe drill a hole), but so easy to put the stock seats back if you want.... See it as a temporary solution till you get a better idea on how to get your OEM seats figured out, or just keep 'em... Good luck...

X2 Have been rockin a pair of 93 Prelude seats for a while......comfortable, available, and cheap (bought mine for 20 bucks on craigs).They are nearly bolt in....easy job. Will do until I find something better.

Thanks FAQers for the advise and offers. Such menschen!

And Jason, I was actually thinking of using a mexican blanket to cover the sun-ravaged back of my rear seat. Seems like it would be keeping with my car's California heritage :) The fronts, however, require something a bit more austere.

So I got around to posting in the Parted Wanted forum. I'll see if anything else turns up. Meantime, I'll be weaving my blanket.

Josh

X2 Have been rockin a pair of 93 Prelude seats for a while......comfortable, available, and cheap (bought mine for 20 bucks on craigs).They are nearly bolt in....easy job. Will do until I find something better.

Any pics?