• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What 1600 wheels and bags or coil overs?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say coilovers. Can be done pretty reasonably if you jump in yourself and not afraid to use non-namebrandy stuff. Mine is still on springs 1.5 coils cut out, Billy hd's and sway bars. Ride is fine for me and I commute 120miles round trip in it about 3 times a week. If you really want bags, then go bags. Just make sure you aren't going to run out of money and interest before you are finished. Sounds like the car is aready kinda sorted mechanically since it's a daily driver. But as soon as you start working on the fun stuff, these cars have a tendnency to suck money into things you thought were just fine. This board is a GREAT resource with lot's of info and experience of those on it. Along with the experience, come the opinions, which is fine too. But if you're anything like me, you drive the '02 because it's a great little car and not the norm. So make it to your liking and remember it's more fun on the road than on the jackstand.

Andy C.

76' BMW 2002

03' Dodge 2500

01' Chevy Suburban

Mine is still on springs 1.5 coils cut out, Billy hd's and sway bars.

Do this.

It's free, and will get you lower. Save your money until you have 2k + and you can do the suspension proper.

Start reading about what others have done, look at build blogs, and decide what is right for you.

8896652784_3f4bbfe54f_o.jpg  1976 2002 - M20 swap in progress -- Build thread - http://bit.ly/2002M20build

would i have to send in my struts for that?

please sell your 1600 before you ruin it and buy an e30 to slam.

If you're buying coilovers for it for looks, you are buying them for all the wrong reasons. Even dropped 2 inches the 2002 loses a lot of it's drivability. Honestly I wouldn't care and would even suggest ways to get the stance you want if it were any other car, such as an e30, e36, or anything that isn't as scarce as a 1600.

Either way, if you do end up doing this to your 2002 you are looking well over 2000 for either a coilover setup or air bags; likely more because you need to pay someone to do the fabrication work. Nothing comes free; even if your buddy owns a shop don't expect him to do high quality labor for free.

You're better off buying something that is more commonly "slammed" like an e30 or e36; a lot more options for cheap coilovers, and you won't upset 75% of the 2002 community while you are at it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a "low" car, and having a tight gap between fender and wheel is great, but anything lower than 2" is a car that should not be driven, and if it is not being driven, it isn't being used for the right purpose.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

the fun of driving an 02 (16 or 20) is in its handling. You can profitably improve the car's handling with some judicious lowering, slightly stiffer springs (engineered for an '02), larger sway bars, good shocks (Bilsteins or Konis) and slightly wider tires.

All the above has been done countless times by countless 02 owners (me included) and has improved the already good handling of an 02. Your 1600 probably doesn't have swaybars at all unless a PO added 'em, so that addition alone will help your car's handling.

But....there's a point at which you will make the car's handling worse than stock by going overboard on any of the above changes: wheels/tires too wide/wrong offset; too short springs; too much wheel camber; too stiff shocks, too large sway bars.

But it's your car and your call--if you want good handling, check the archives for good guidance; if you want looks only, then go for it, but remember you'll compromise the car's best attribute, its handling. Heck, when I was 18 I thought my 28hp Renault 4CV was a sports car and autocrossed it. Learned a lot about oversteer and how to make a scary car handle a lot better.

Good luck, and welcome to the fraternity/sorority; lotsa good advice on this board, and no one is gonna flame a newbie...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

would i have to send in my struts for that?

please sell your 1600 before you ruin it and buy an e30 to slam.

If you're buying coilovers for it for looks, you are buying them for all the wrong reasons. Even dropped 2 inches the 2002 loses a lot of it's drivability. Honestly I wouldn't care and would even suggest ways to get the stance you want if it were any other car, such as an e30, e36, or anything that isn't as scarce as a 1600.

You're better off buying something that is more commonly "slammed" like an e30 or e36; a lot more options for cheap coilovers, and you won't upset 75% of the 2002 community while you are at it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a "low" car, and having a tight gap between fender and wheel is great, but anything lower than 2" is a car that should not be driven, and if it is not being driven, it isn't being used for the right purpose.

lol its people like you that kept me from buying a 2002 for sooo long. I finally said fuck it and bought a great 69 1600. I immediately did the airbags after purchase and will probably sully the good name of the 1600 quite a bit in the coming year. haha. Once I get the car back from paint, ill put pics up for all the purists to cry over.

The e28 guys said the same b.s. when i slammed my 535is and turned it into a german cop car. and some e21 purists really dont like either of my e21's. But to me, they wereare all the perfect height with just the right amount of mods. In fact, the reason i got rid of my canada spec e34 540i/6 was because getting that car to my height standards would have been a pretty difficult achievement.

Don't get me wrong; I can appreciate fantastic fabrication even if it is on a rare car that makes the purists cringe. The reason I am so reluctant to encourage people to hack up their cars for a look is that if one or two people do it, so be it. But once it becomes a craze, especially amongst the MAJORITY of people who are into the "stanced, hellaflush, jdm" whatever craze, a LOT of bad work starts happening by the people who want the look and take nothing else into consideration. It's only a matter of time before people who put aesthetics in front of all else come along and start cutting springs until the 02s are sitting on their bump stops and destroying themselves with each drive.

Do it to a civic or a 240 or anything else thats more common and I don't really care; some of them look cool. but as soon as people decide that 2002s look good slammed on their ass and they become a trend, a lot of these rare cars will become damaged and modified by people who LACK the skill to do it properly. It's not a matter of purity for me; it's about keeping that crowd away from these classics. I LOVE E30s and even the occasional E36; but I chose a 2002 because the MAJORITY of the people who modify them are intelligent and like these cars for what they are all about; handling and enjoying a classic, rather then saying to each other "yo your car is so hellaflush!" and scraping the 5" exhaust thats hanging off the rear end with every single bump.

If you do good work, AWESOME. just realize that the majority of people who are interested in slamming their cars to the ground and fitting oversized wheels lack a certain something (knowledge about automobiles) that sets the 02 guys aside from the other guys modifying cars.

I have harsh feelings about this subject because I can't stand to have one more person undermine the work of some serious fabricators by displaying cars that are good for nothing beyond aesthetics. Once upon a time telling people you modified cars meant you had a serious knowledge of engineering and fabrication; nowadays people associate it with someone who slaps on a fart can, slams the car on huge rims and calls it a day.

This is not directed at anyone in particular; there are plenty of low 2002s that look fantastic; the reason they do is because they are built by KNOWLEDGABLE people. I'd like to keep it that way. If that means discouraging a newbie from slamming his car, so be it. if he REALLY want's it that bad, hell do it despite what any of us say.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

photocopy3copy_zps2f3a8ef9.jpg

after a terrible photo shop job this is what i came up with haha... for the back wheels and stance.

You don't need bags or coilovers for that stance. Find an '02 guy to help you out, not a lowrider guy.

And you really don't want that much camber at the rear.

Like the roof rack though. Do you know who made it?

N

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I concur with others to drive the car for a bit first. Make it safe and see what else comes up that needs attention before getting to fast in the looks dept. Hows the bushings? and brakes? Plenty of time to research bags or coilovers. BTW, you have red Konis and IE stage I springs and no sways on your 02.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Guest Anonymous

Think you guys are getting the wrong idea I love the 1600 look stock I think it's amazing but my OPINION for my taste is it a little lower and I did have a e30 I traded it for the 1600. I just came to the form to ask some questions not be told to get rid of a car that I love. I'm sorry to offend you guys but I just want to find the inbetween of modern and class. So if your going to tell me to sell a car I love because it offends you that I like a different style then you don't need to post. Really was hoping for a accepting group :/

Guest Anonymous

Also I agree with testing out the car I'm not purchasing any parts yet I have some interior things I'm doing like fixing some gaps around the windows and I'm swapping the tans because it has some issues.