• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii lower timing cover hardware.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I just ordered a bunch of new hardware for the tii timing cover for my Schnitzer engine from Maximillion, of which was included two new M8 x70mm bolts for the "hook" (hoist/hook). The package came last night, as I was looking everything over noticed that those particular bolts are A2-70 Stainless Steel (which with a little research tells me is a grade 304 ss and has a tensile strength of 700 N/mm2). The grade 8.8 bolt I had expected to receive would have a tensile strength of 828 N/mm2 which of course is slightly greater than the A2-70. It is a nominal difference, however being it is a critical component, it would be a real pisser to have one or both of those bolts let go on a hoist. I would be interested to hear what folks have installed in this location - Grade 8.8 or some other such???

www.alpinabmw2002.com

The original bolts were not 8.8 bolts. These bolts are in shear not tension when you are lifting the engine, the SS bolts will be about 500-600% more than needed for the application, I would use them and not think twice about it.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC