Guest Anonymous

Tii lower timing cover hardware.....

6 posts / 593 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

So I just ordered a bunch of new hardware for the tii timing cover for my Schnitzer engine from Maximillion, of which was included two new M8 x70mm bolts for the "hook" (hoist/hook). The package came last night, as I was looking everything over noticed that those particular bolts are A2-70 Stainless Steel (which with a little research tells me is a grade 304 ss and has a tensile strength of 700 N/mm2). The grade 8.8 bolt I had expected to receive would have a tensile strength of 828 N/mm2 which of course is slightly greater than the A2-70. It is a nominal difference, however being it is a critical component, it would be a real pisser to have one or both of those bolts let go on a hoist. I would be interested to hear what folks have installed in this location - Grade 8.8 or some other such???

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I can't help with the bolt question, but I visited your site again and boy do those race sounds sound great!

matt

Guest Anonymous

Interesting that part is what "BMW" is apparently selling as a replacement.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

The original bolts were not 8.8 bolts. These bolts are in shear not tension when you are lifting the engine, the SS bolts will be about 500-600% more than needed for the application, I would use them and not think twice about it.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds good to me.....and at $7.50 each, even better. Tx

www.alpinabmw2002.com