Guest Anonymous

1969 1600 trans replacement

6 posts / 276 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

when replacing 1600 trans is there a gasket kit that I need? thanks

If you are just switching one for another, there should be none needed. I swapped mine around 20 years ago & if I remember correctly, I just disconnected everything, dropped the tranny down & put the other one up & in & reconnected everything. I know there is probably more to it & there may be some gaskets, It was such a long time ago & I really only remember that it was pretty easy & straighforward.

If you are just switching one for another, there should be none needed. I swapped mine around 20 years ago & if I remember correctly, I just disconnected everything, dropped the tranny down & put the other one up & in & reconnected everything. I know there is probably more to it & there may be some gaskets, It was such a long time ago & I really only remember that it was pretty easy & straighforward.

Gaskets and seals are available individually or as a kit. On a 50 year old trans, I'd be changing front and back seals, and especially the trans shifter rod seal. The back seal might be optional, since you can change it without dropping the trans, but might as well do all. Also an opportunity to change rear main seal if necessary.

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks for the quick replies do seal kits need ordered specially for 2002 or is there a universal kit?

I got the seals from Bavauto but prob available elsewhere. I have an older packaged rebuild kit with gaskets. Check realoem to see if it still exists, but I'd do the three seals and not open the case. I also have an entire 1600 trans if it comes to that.