rtheriaque

Never mind... Odd blinker behavior with LED bulbs

8 posts / 823 viewsLast Reply

UPDATE: It's the EL13 flasher. This isn't compatible with 4 LED bulbs. Grab an LED-friendly EL13 from Super Bright LEDs and call it a day. I'll leave this for future troubleshooters...

Howdy folks,

My winter project has been upgrading the safety of my lighting (on a budget). I rechromed my taillight housings and installed LED bulbs and added a third brake light (Daniel Stern) so far. The effect is tremendous- the instant on/off of the LEDs, coupled with the light output, is a very nice passive safety upgrade.

So, I went ahead and grabbed some amber 1157 LEDs for the front blinker/parking lights. I installed the driver's side and everything is fine. When I install an LED bulb in the passenger's side, the system won't blink. It's like the flasher doesn't have enough power (I do have an EL13 electronic flasher).

I've swapped the two front bulbs with the same behavior- the driver's side will always blink, the passenger's side won't. I checked voltage at the fuse box- it's about 6.2V on both sides. I get the same reading at the lights themselves, so I'm not losing anything there. I've cleaned the grounding screws (and even tried adding a separate ground) with no effect.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Does that flasher fit in the standard plug or does the wiring need to be modified?

I wonder if the EP34 will renew my cluster indicator. Nothing else has worked (with the LED taillights...)

Cheers,

Guys,

I blew it with my original post. We don't use the EL12, we use the EL13. I updated the links accordingly.

As for the cluster indicator, this is pretty straightforward. If the wiring is correct, the cluster indicator will work. Have you checked the wiring and bulb? It's the "L" terminal to green/yellow, "X" to green/purple, and "P" to black/white. Ditch the brown (ground).

Guys,

I blew it with my original post. We don't use the EL12, we use the EL13. I updated the links accordingly.

As for the cluster indicator, this is pretty straightforward. If the wiring is correct, the cluster indicator will work. Have you checked the wiring and bulb? It's the "L" terminal to green/yellow, "X" to green/purple, and "P" to black/white. Ditch the brown (ground).

I might need to recheck the wiring for the LED rears. This was one of the first sets made. I may as well look at the indicator bulb again, tho I did check it previously.

I'm about to isolate the indicator bulb circuit and run a hot wire to it from the taillights.

;-)

Guys,