LimeySteve

A Father & Son , 1 weekend & an Auto to 5 speed Proj

10 posts / 688 viewsLast Reply

Since my son has been bitten by the 02 bug he has been after swapping the Auto for a stick, we did a deal with Mahammad for his engine & 5 speed combo & went after in this weekend. Friday after work James backed his car onto the hoist & we proceeded to remove the engine, trans & front crossmember. 2 1/2 hours & the whole deal was out. Saturday & I decided to clean the engine bay , de grease & paint red to remove the old dark blue & original Pastal blue from under hood,I used 2 cans of Rustoleum red (takes 2-4 hours to dry !, so we had a bunch to do while the paint dried. I cleaned up the nice pedal box we bought , got all the crossmember cleaned & painted black, assembled the engine/trans onto the crossmember & wrestled with the re installation of the pedal box.

Sunday saw the assembly go in , drive line , hook up the Ireland stepped header with a flex coupler . Some glitches along the way, steering coupler (need an Ireland one ) the guibo bolts , larger in an Auto (thanks for the bolts Denny )& I am having a problem hooking up the clutch flex hose.

Hopefully a couple of evenings & all will be finished.

It's cool working with your son on a car project HE wanted to do :)

IMG_0027_zps62c446ba.jpg

IMG_0026-1_zpscb8ac456.jpg

IMG_0033-1_zps7ff063af.jpg

IMG_0036-1_zpsd1bce034.jpg

IMG_0042-1_zps760f8618.jpg

Cool indeed.

Mesa Imports has a braided slave hose solution if you've not overcome it.

Cheers,

Ray , cheers I have a hose but cannot access the fitting on the slave,the slave has nuts & bolts so I cannot drop it out. I think I have a solution I'll know tomorrow after work. The cam cover is being changed & he has a pair of 40 Dellortos & an Ireland intake. Poor guy is in debt with me for a while now :) The car will be great when done, on a soon to be 19 yr old's budget.

Steve that is just plain awesome to see that you are spending quality time like this with your son. Not only that, but you are keeping it alive for the next generation. Keep up the great work.

I have no doubt in a few years I will have similar projects with my 7 year old son.

All the best,

Dave

The Auto will be for sale , he's open to offers , it works great & is very clean.

we should be buttoning it up tonight , clutch works , just wiring , throttle linkage & arm to install , new Ireland steering guibo fitted.

Auto trans complete with a newish guibo , torque convertor, flex plate, shifter & console panel $200 .

hope the alternator issue is all fixed,time to figure shift/clutch operation james.see you sunday