autobon7

Can I save this seat without recovering? Esty are you there?

11 posts / 990 viewsLast Reply

A local M3 guy has a pair of seats from an E30 M3. Driver of course is worst shape. No way do I have the dinero to pay for a recover. Looks like the seat bottom could use some padding. I will need to dye them as gray does not match my int. Thoughts anyone?

post-13147-13667669577176_thumb.jpg

autobon,

in the interim, what you can do is remove the seat brackets/hinges and then the passenger side becomes your drivers side seat. This is assuming that there isn't any switches on the true driver's side seat.

I tried to repair and re-dye my seats to black from tan, but it was a disaster. not to say it can't be done, but man i spent so much time sanding (prep work) over 2 months i gave up. btw, i used leatherique products.

nice patina

no budget ? pass on these and find others that

are your color to begin with

work properly in a 2002...IIRC you need to make new mounting points for the E30 seats to position them at the correct height. Seats from an E21 320is are a direct bolt-in...and you should be able to sell the E30 M3 seats for more than enough to cover a pair of E21 seats as they're much more common...

cheers

mike

autobon,

in the interim, what you can do is remove the seat brackets/hinges and then the passenger side becomes your drivers side seat. This is assuming that there isn't any switches on the true driver's side seat.

I tried to repair and re-dye my seats to black from tan, but it was a disaster. not to say it can't be done, but man i spent so much time sanding (prep work) over 2 months i gave up. btw, i used leatherique products.

I can't speak on the leatherique products, but SEM is absolutely great. 8 years on my old red car and never had any problems. Dyed black vinyl to a camel color. Many light coats after thoroughly cleaning is the key.

Mike,

Me too. I changed my vinyl blue seats to SEM black and it turned out awesome.

But looks like the OP's seat material is leather which as you know, can't be spray dyed w/ vinyl paint!