• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Brother found an 02

Guest Anonymous

Update: Going to check it out tomorrow again and spoke with the owner yesterday. She said that she is pretty sure she knows where the keys are, but will give me a call if she can't find them. I haven't received a call yet!

But...during our conversation she did say she knows that motor has been replaced, because she remembers paying for a new one. So, that could be good news? And the story stays the same, they stopped driving it because they couldn't fit their son who is in a wheelchair in the car.

Well, I'll update you guys tomorrow with pics of the engine bay, trunk, fenders, and what I can see of the undercarriage!

• 3 months later...

Update: It's been awhile. After looking at the car almost 4 months ago I can't let it go. 

My initial reaction was. Damn. There are pack-rat nests everywhere: engine bay, transmission tunnel, and probably under the car. 

The interior is pretty much gone. It is all dry rotted and pretty ugly. I sat on the seat and it crunched.

I couldn't get the trunk to open to inspect for the regular rust spots (any tips?) but the wheel wells looked good. I couldn't inspect under the car because the tires are rotted and it is sitting too low to the ground.

But I still can't let the car go. So I think I'm going to purchase it. Clean out the nests and get a professionals opinion on the engine. If it is shit, well I'll part it out.

Here are the pics I took 4 months ago.

IMG_20130228_171537.jpg

IMG_20130228_171515.jpg

IMG_20130228_172403.jpg

IMG_20130228_171816.jpg

IMG_20130224_132433.jpg

Edited by ejbluth

Jump at it....learn.....learn some more. Keep it or part it......it's all about learning the car. Is exactly what I did for my 1st 02. Bought it cheap, learned about everything I could, found the rust was too much, sold it on craigslist, chaulked it up as a learning experience and was WAY better prepared when I bought my second car. Just sayin.....

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Buy it. I jumped into my 2002 without doing enough research and got hosed along the way but in the end i am happy for the experience and the learning.

Clean the engine bay, replace the rubber fuel lines, check the wiring over, change the oil, draina nd fill the fuel tank and then crank it over and see what happens. Good chance it will run and once its running, even if rough, you have a starting point.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Bought a power washer about a week and blasted the engine bay for about an hour and a half. It now looks much better.

9305379212_83ede4b247_z.jpg

I then took a short vacation to San Diego where I spotted a sweet black 2002 with fender flares (didn't get a pic) that really inspired me for when I came home. 

So we replaced some fuel lines, cleaned some contact points, and repaired some gnawed wires and we finally got it to start...

http://youtu.be/PaFvAbvcDRk

The carburetor is pretty finicky and you can hear it get stuck on full throttle, so a new one is probably in order. There is also gasoline leaking from the bronze-gold looking piece that the 2 fuel lines connect to from the top of the block. What is that?

Anyways! I'll be working on it again tomorrow.

Edited by ejbluth

Good for you......let the learning begin. Please let us know as you make progress (and when your stuck, great group here). My learning curve would be much slower if it weren't for the fine folks on this forum. BTW, my 02 is same color.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

The view from below will tell alot about this find, look at rockers first, the strip between wheel wells below the door, if these are bad it just might be a deal breaker, check the underside of floors, if realy bad you will see damage from below, and the usual suspects, shock towers, fenders and spare tyre well, if these pass muster everything else can be fixed, before trying to turn moter remove plugs and sqwirt oil or diesel down the holes, no reason to be the first one to damage the cylinders.

Remember the budget for restore can be whatever you can afford, not everyones goal is 100 point concourse, also the neysayers will be the first to ask location of car if you pass, Go for it and register here, the info is priceless.................

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone and thanks mytyle. I just ordered a new one, but what is strange is that my car has electronic fuel pump in in the trunk...

Rear shock towers look solid! :)

9310820686_699f3a5e97_z.jpg
Fuel Pump? by ejbluth19, on Flickr

Got another question. Should I just buy another Weber 32/36 DGEV or should I be looking to buy a kit? Anyone have an places they recommend for either? Thanks!

Edited by ejbluth

you can get a rebuild kit, a toothbrush, and a gallon of solvent/cleaner to kill some brain cells . . . or you can just order one from Blunt or Pierce Manifolds with correct jetting and install in 10 minutes. Get the rubber base to eliminate heat from the intake

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

This will not be a "restoration" in the sense of bringing it back to as-new condition.  If you want a creampuff, suggest to start with a car in decent mechanical condition where cosmetics are the only issue.  This car will need almost everything... costing many thousands.

IMNSHO, you should aim for "driver" status, a much lower standard that means the engine powers the car, the brakes, lights and safety functions are operable.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone and thanks mytyle. I just ordered a new one, but what is strange is that my car has electronic fuel pump in in the trunk...

Rear shock towers look solid! :)

9310820686_699f3a5e97_z.jpg
Fuel Pump? by ejbluth19, on Flickr

Got another question. Should I just buy another Weber 32/36 DGEV or should I be looking to buy a kit? Anyone have an places they recommend for either? Thanks!

well, if the elec fuel pump works, just bypass the leaking mechanical one and ignore it.  problem solved for free.

2xM3

OK, so you have very little invested in this car.  'Try' to keep it that way.  After reading thru your other thread where you were eager to buy a whole other carb, I want to offer a little advice.

Not all parts on old cars just break or go bad.  Something inside them goes wrong for some reason, and they can often be fixed.  In the process of fixing them, you not only learn a whole lot about how they work, but you also save a ton of money.

Much of the time, it's not even the part you suspect that is actually bad.  This is where proper diagnosis comes in handy.

Nope, don't try to 'restore' it, just have fun with it.  You can easily and cheaply get this car running and have a blast with it.  No need for thousands of dollars, if you keep your standards low.  If you learn how everything works yourself, you will have a much better time.  At some point you will be stranded on the side of the road, and hopefully you will not have an angry woman with you.  If you know how things work, hopefully you can fix things quickly and be on your way.

Those of us on the forum that already have 02s, or really nice 02s, often forget what its like to have never driven an 02.  We have higher standards than the general public, and many of us see nothing but the costs of making things into pristine show cars.

For the unaccustomed, it can be extremely difficult to ever find one that is even in running condition.  If you can get one for $300, and have a blast driving it, then that puts you way ahead of the 99.99% of the population thats never even gotten to drive one.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser