jtmila02

IE tii dizzy install on 76 non-tii

5 posts / 636 viewsLast Reply

Guys need some help on this. I've been compiling all of the relevant threads on this and I'm still stumped on a seemingly rather simple issue. The bosch dizzy that was removed had a single male connector on the black wire. Problem is the new IE dizzy has both a black wire and a yellow wire each with female ends. (see pic)

9PTMAZI.jpg

1) Where does the yellow wire connect

2) I assume I need to switch the female connections over to male tabs, correct?

Any tips or hints are most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I have a mechanical advance distributor with the IE electronic ignition on my '76. There is a red and a black wire; red goes to positive on the coil, black to negative (female connectors).

001_zps9c46cc7b.jpg

002_zpsd8b52f9d.jpg

Stu,

Thanks for the quick response. The wiring from the positive coil did not appear to link directly to the old bosch unit. Rather, as you can see from the images below (blue wiring bundle leading from positive coil)it looks like it is running to the solenoid valve.

I was hopeful I could get this thing running properly on my own but with limited skill and zero experience working on 02s I may be ready to throw in the towel and have an expert take a turn. At the end of the day that may be the best option to at least start from.

VstyzwN.jpg

buKhluX.jpg

MSHmF1V.jpg

eAOjhJk.jpg

I had an expert install mine. FYI, if you've removed the smog control stuff, the bundle of wires and the solenoids on the firewall can all be removed, and replaced with a single wire from the fusebox to the positive side of the coil (see the extra black wire attached to my positive). Here's one link of many on this topic:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,381290/sid,51c2fc853c955977e66ef8e077f0f105/

That double black wire with the single female connector goes to your tach, connect it to the negative terminal on your coil (along with the black wire from your new distributor).