Sign in to follow this  
LarryE10E20

Why are the easy things always hard? Help needed

6 posts / 499 viewsLast Reply

This should be so easy but, of course, it isn't. Needed to replace my rear view mirror because the original glass was discolored. Removing the old mirror was easy; just push foreward toward the windshield and it pops out. But now I can't figure out how to get the replacement back in. Do I need to compress that little spring in the back and, if so, how? Search was not helpful. Is there some trick?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

a dab of grease on each end of the spring loaded

tabs so it will just "PUSH" up back in.

helps if you place one end up into the hole

then press on the base to engage the other side

Add a little bit of silicon grease to the spring. Compress the spring a few times with a pair of channel locks to make sure it isn't rusted or frozen in place. Add a little bit of silicon grease to the spring's end points so that it'll slide a bit more easily into place. Press firmly and it should go. Just be careful not to punch the windshield, as it will tend to crack. Don't ask me how I know.

Thanks for the expert advice! I guess it's true what they say: everything's easy once you know how to do it. Mirror has been successfully reinstalled.

Thanks for the expert advice! I guess it's true what they say: everything's easy once you know how to do it. Mirror has been successfully reinstalled.

Hi Larry - which car will you be bringing to Vintage? Will you let Sam drive one so you can bring both>>>?

Pondering that very question, Jim. (In fact, I just registered for the Vintage at Saratoga and when asked for my car information, I listed both cars with the comment that "It depends on which one is running the best that morning." Might be the same with North Carolina.)

Sam is another option, as we had to sell the E30. I'll mention your suggestion to her. Off the top of my head, I'd let her drive the coupe as I could forgive her if something unfortunate happened to it. But the tii remains my true love...