kyalami

BMW Design Head Karim Habib speaks

7 posts / 601 viewsLast Reply

All

For those who haven't seen this, I thought I'd share. Not just because Habib chose to drive an '02 over anything else, which is, of course, telling, but because I think it embodies everything we all love about our cars. His comment on our experience with BMW's being a tactile, precise one is particularly well summarized because that is truly what the 2002 captures so well.

Enjoy.

Jason

Seeing him driving the 2002 while he is doing this piece speaks volumes about what he and BMW think of the iconic car. However, while being thankful parts are still mostly available and within a reach for some, price wise, I still think there is room for BMW AG and NA (not to even mention BMW CCA) to improve their support for their vintage and classic cars.

The video also gives some insight to the euro features of the 2002, i.e. the bumpers, side lights and steering wheel.

By the way, I enjoyed the video. Thank you for sharing.

His "driver" looks like it could be the Tii Mobile Tradition built a few years ago. Maybe??

Of all the cars in their museum, I find it interesting that BMW chose an Inka '02 Tii to "highlight" in their film.

I'm starting to think maybe it's time to put one or two Tii's in the investment portifolio or have they already achieved Investment Grade and I'm to late.

mac.

is a little off,but it is Inka.

Got to drive that car at Lime Rock the year after it was completed. Great fun to drive a new 2002 30 years after the last one left the assembly line.

cheers

mike

Interesting video and enjoying all of your comments.

Here's a snippet from an article I wrote for our local BMW CCA Chapter's newsletter. So the audience is mostly folks with newer Bimmers...

"If you haven’t driven a 2002, it is like the shot of expresso to the new BMW’s salted carmel macchiato. It is a distillation and concentration of BMW-ness. It is one of the little seeds that grew into what BMW is today."

Scott

Guest Anonymous

The art of the object is enjoyed both as it is today looking back and if you were fortunate enough to have enjoyed the object brand new as it was in the context of the time. I was very fortunate to have purchased 2 brand new 2002's. One a standard 2002 and then a 2002tii in the early 1970's. The Tii was so newly on the market that the fuel injection on it had no local dealer support.

Hard to picture the state of the small sedan in 1970 unless you were there. Drums all around and 25-30 hp per liter. Terrible build quality a true throw away car. Then pow the BMW 2002. It was truly astonishing.

Still having fun