• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15% ethanol -- bill in congress to prohibit...read on....

Mike Self

From the folks at SEMA:

Legislation Introduced in U.S. Senate to Prevent Sale of E15 Gasoline

Legislation (S. 344) has been introduced in the U.S. Senate to prohibit the introduction of gasoline containing over 10% ethanol into the marketplace. Over a year ago, the EPA raised the amount of ethanol permitted in gasoline from 10% (E10) to 15% (E15) and the fuel may soon appear at a gas station near you.

We Urge You to Contact Your U.S. Senators to Request Their Support for S. 344

* Ethanol increases water formation that can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics and rubber. Older cars and certain high performance specialty parts are not constructed with corrosion-resistant materials or able to tolerate the higher temperatures at which E15 may burn.

* The EPA made it “illegal” to put E15 in pre-2001 vehicles. However, the EPA is willing to risk destruction of the vehicle/parts by relying solely on a gas pump label cautioning motorists not to misfuel their older vehicles. The EPA estimates that there are over 70 million such vehicles in harm’s way, along with millions more boats, lawnmowers and other gas-powered engine products.

* Auto enthusiasts have complained for years about damage caused by E10, which is now in over 90% of gas sold in the U.S. Ethanol has time to damage the engine, fuel line, fuel tank and exhaust systems when classic cars are infrequently driven and increases the risk of corrosion by 50 percent.

* S. 344 would prevent the sale of E15 and therefore protect automotive enthusiasts from the negative effects of increased ethanol content in gasoline.

DON’T DELAY! Contact your Senators immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support of S. 344. To identify your U.S. Senators, go to: http://semasan.com/lookup.asp?g=semaga

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I hope everyone on the FAQ spends a few moments and does what Mike suggests.

Politicians only understand voter pressure. If your Senator doesn't vote your wishes, make a political contribution to their opponent.

mac.

UPDATE: I'm sorta automotive oriented so I forwarded Mike's post to additional automotive groups I'm associated with, you might consider doing the same. (I think this is what the media refers to as "going viral".

have a good day.

My senators are Feinstein and Boxer. I won't waste my time.

Don't be so sure. SEMA is based in CA as are a great many of its members. Members with money to contribute politically. I'd still contact them.

No, unfortunately, gr8glfr is right....

Boxer is front and center on the "we know what's right for you...." enviro-police.

There MIGHT be some wiggle room with Fienstein, but her base is the MarinCounty/San Francisco 'enlightened' folks.

we troglodytes are lucky to have them in our leadership {sarcasm}...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Are we sure it is S. 344? When I Google it, this comes up as a bill for Retired Military Pay Restoration Act of 2011, with no mention of ethanol or fuel hidden in the text of the bill that I can find.

I suspect we are looking for the Mid-Level Ethanol Blends Act of 2009, but, while I can find information on that Act, I do not find the Bill number or information on imminent action.

Mike, can you clarify, please?

David

clarification from the Director of SEMA Action Network:

Hi David,

Thanks for your inquiry. As you noted, the bill number S. 344 is not unique to ethanol. In fact, the bill numbers are recycled for every new Congress, hence why the 2011 Act shares the same designation. Here is a link from the Library of Congress to confirm this information: THOMAS - Bill Summary and Status - S.344

Your effort is appreciated by enthusiasts everywhere. Please continue getting folks involved, both in person and online. If you know of other resources in the state, especially club meetings, car events, social media channels, online forums and discussion boards or otherwise, please share the Alert with those folks. Ask them to stay informed by enlisting with the SEMA Action Network (SAN) free of charge at www.SEMAsan.com/Join. I invite each member of your staff to officially sign up as well.

Thank you again,

Colby Martin

SEMA Action Network (SAN) Director

Both SC Senators have emails. I had to fill out their comment form on their websites. I hopefully that doesn't put me on their mailing lists.... the both make me gag!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

It's too bad ethanol costs a lot more than plain gasoline. One you start adding the impacts: farm costs, feed costs, food costs, transportation costs, storage costs, etc...it far outweighs any benefit.

And it looks like it is here to stay.

Good news is VW just announced a new diesel that gets 283 mpg.

Sub liter diesel is the wave of the future prior to commercial cold fusion.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

He's usually for less "goverment regs" so it'll be interesting to find out.

This may sound counterintuitive, but wouldn't a BAN on E15 represent MORE government regulation?

Boxer is front and center on the "we know what's right for you...." enviro-police.

Same question as above. Wouldn't the "less regs, they don't know what's right for me" solution be to allow the sale of E15 and let consumers decide?

Are we worried that allowing E15 would drive

Not trying to start a fight. Just wondering what y'all think about the issue.

1970 Granada 2002