Robotin

is it possible to.....

8 posts / 765 viewsLast Reply

hey. so. lotta posts on here, and everyone is so helpful on here. which is something i truly love about this community....

this is my dilemna..

1970 2002,

bought a carb'd m10 engine with 118 casting head (e30 i believe). my old dist wasnt fitting right, but this one is fits perfect.

car cranks with no spark or fuel,

recently acquired a e30 distributor and the rotor is turning, but when i try to hold the spark plug close to the valve cover to see any arcing, there is nothing,

spark plugs are a little charred, but i've seen worse, running.

my old spark plug wires were in pretty bad condition, so im using the e30 spark plug wires as well. they dont seem to fit the ignition coil very well. so im thinking about trying to retrofit am e30 ingition coil.

so what do i need to make the e30 dist work?

or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it has a 118 casting number on the head it is either a 1600 or 1800 engine. If you are trying to use a e30 distributor it won't work (they rotate the wrong way for one and should be for a electronic ignition system) get the serial number off the block (at the back ov the block on a pad right over where the starter is mounted) this should give us some idea what you have.

i will do check on that, my 2002 dist wasnt working, it wouldnt meet up with the cam gear. and now this with the e30 dist, the dist fit all the way down and reaches the cam gear.

possible he swapped the e30 cam in it?

everyday i find something out, and as soon as i move 1 step forwards, i get moved 2 steps back.

If you are truly running an E30 distributor, you will need the harness that goes with it as well as the ignition module (ignitor) that is usually mounted on the firewall on the drivers side.

Look up an E30 wiring diagram.

If it has a 118 casting number on the head it is either a 1600 or 1800 engine. If you are trying to use a e30 distributor it won't work (they rotate the wrong way for one and should be for a electronic ignition system) get the serial number off the block (at the back ov the block on a pad right over where the starter is mounted) this should give us some idea what you have.

Either fix or get a 2002 distributor or get the ignition module and harness. If you don't then the pulse gen. on the dist. won't work since it's not mechanical like the older ones.

Go recheck the casting mark. I bet you have a 1.8i head, if it has a reverse- rotation

cam in it.

To make that work, you'll need to find a reverse rotation distributor that

can trigger your ignition. If it's a points system, you'll need to fit points

or an Ignitor module (which is worth the effort). If the dizzy has both

vacuum and mechanical advance, this would be a pretty slick system.

If it's EFI, you'd need a trigger for that- you can use the entire E30 system,

or the later E21, both are good.

There's a lot of past history on this if you go digging in the old posts...

t

i will recheck my head, but i remember it saying 118 on it.

i have a 2002 distributor, but the gear is wrong. the distributor gear on the e30 dist is the right.

and im still not getting spark...

dont really know what to do...

im pretty lost here...

please help!!