• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cost of Love...

Rocan

I'm guilty of always telling myself that I have spent far less on my toys than is actually the case. I decided I should keep tabs more with this project than my others, so I added up all that I have spent so far in about a half year of ownership.

Including shipping on parts, I spent about $2400 thus far, which includes a Megajolt, sound deadening, and a lot of parts to get the drivetrain tip top. She will eventually need to have the bottom end done and still needs new valve seals (new (to me) head, but I had to swap it on with the old seals and took a chance since I was in a rush (and it's an '88 casting), but she doesn't drip anymore and has a new clutch as well as all the important bits that make it a usable daily driver. The last owner put a LOT of money into it already, with most of it going to shop charges. Since I bought the car for $2250, I figure I'm still in the green since most of the mechanicals are now sorted and the rest of the work is really cosmetic and performance related. The eventual paintjob will set me back a good chunk, but that will increase the value (and more importantly joy!) enough that it is worth the investment.

So $4650 + time... Classic BMW on a used toyota budget... one of the many reasons I love 2002's.

What has your baby set you back? Mine is a daily so I can settle with cheaper parts which helps... I know the concourse jobs cost far more.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

You'll sleep better not keeping up with expenses! But don't use cheap parts - get the good stuff at a more affordable price through some of the vendors here.

I never buy cheap if I can avoid it; I work in the business of restorations so I know the ropes well enough; by cheaper parts I meant that I don't mind non-oem so long as the quality is where it should be, and for other parts like interior and body trim I don't mind getting something that is worn but functional.

A bunch of Bikes...

I don't track it. I would vomit, all things considered. But I have a sense of the total..

I can say, however, that everything other than 1/3rd of the original purchase price, and the 5 speed conversion 40th birthday fundraising drive, was covered by the sale of related goods and/or services, with the intent of using the profit for the next 2002 project. Full disclosure to my amazing and VERY tolerant wife, as a show of good faith. :)

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I dont even want to think about it... Though half of my suspension was covered by another parts car. Other than that I've spent way too much!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Tom... that motor must be fantastic! How did it feel going from the old to the new with the extra power of the cam and the easy revving of the aluminum flywheel?

A bunch of Bikes...

wowser! that m20 build has some super trick parts. bodywork really does eat up a large chunk of funds; I plan to save by having a cheap shop take the paint down and do the bulk of the filler work, then have a far better shop do the final smoothing and paint work. I would do it myself, but not having a garage makes things difficult.

I haven't added it up, but I have more into my little CB350 than my 2002 and Mini combined, even after considering purchase costs. Pretty much every dollar I made from the ages of 15 though 18 went into that build; looking back on it, maybe I shouldn't have spent ~1200 to get an extra 15hp out of that motor... slippery slope indeed!

A bunch of Bikes...

How did it feel going from the old to the new with the extra power of the cam and the easy revving of the aluminum flywheel?

In this rebuild, I went from a Schrick 292 to their 304 (and I previously have had the Motorsport 300 cam in there), paired with my retuned DCOEs and prior upgrades - so I knew what to expect - the shift of the powerband upward, with more get-go up there. The JBR flywheel was a new addition, and something I really noticed and like a lot alongside the power mods while driving & shifting.

I have all my 02 receipts filed away (big & small), but I don't look there often - for reasoning similar to Toby's sentiments. ;-p

I had a screenshot of this online order handy, so I posted that as my own 'Love hurts' example. There were actually some additional parts also included in that big refresh - that aren't shown, as they weren't from the same supplier. Plus labor and machine shop costs. Ha - even more love!

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Price a new car lately?

Agreed! In fact, thinking of getting another fixing it up, and giving it to my father. Its a '76 Polaris. Now the question - should I or shouldn't I.

1974 - 02 - Amazon Green "Ms. Agnes"

2000 - 328Ci - Steel Grey "Bucephalus"

Price a new car lately?

oh, that's just staring into the face of defeat! I prefer to buy beaters,

then spend untold hours trying to make them less crappy.

Sometimes

it works, sometimes,

it doesn't.

I do tend to enjoy it, though.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL