Grover

Differences in dash heater control lever mounting?

12 posts / 1338 viewsLast Reply

Today I pulled the old 2-piece dash out of my '73 in preparation for putting in a recently recovered unit (thanks Wegweiser for the donor core!!) However, when looking at the back of the lower section, I see that the mounting for the heater control lever brackets is different. Specifically, on the recovered one, there are no holes for the screws to go through that connect to the lever brackets themselves? Anybody familiar with this and have a solution? thanks in advance.

post-982-13667669302422_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that looks quite possible. So, on these earlier ones, how do the heater control face plates mount? My current ones just snap into place on the lower section of the dash. Are the earlier faceplate different?

Guest Anonymous

Earlier dashes on some cars had the control bracket into the dash foam and were not removable. Being a 'if it won't move get a bigger come-along" type guy, my heater control portion on my dash is destroyed from getting the heater out.

Yes. Early dashes (three piece I believe) retain the heater control plates when you remove the lower dash covering from the metal body structure. I questioned this here and was directed (by HBChris I believe) to several threads. I don't think this detail was ever explained in the Blue books.

I tried removing the (2) tiny nuts on the back of the heater control plates first, then got schooled that they stay in place with the dash covering.

FYI - another thing I don't think the new 2002 Restoration book covered was the (3) different heater control plates: Satin, Chrome, then Satin with backlighting.

Two different styles:

three lever, non illuminated. The plates are fastened to the dash and are a PITA to remove.

four lever, illuminated. The plates pop off for access to the illuminating bulbs.

All US spec cars from 68 on had satin finished plates, only the Euro cars had shiny chrome finishes. This was an NTHSA requirement prohibiting shiny stuff in the driver's line of sight--also why we have satin silver or black wiper arms...

cheers

mike

All US spec cars from 68 on had satin finished plates, only the Euro cars had shiny chrome finishes. This was an NTHSA requirement prohibiting shiny stuff in the driver's line of sight--also why we have satin silver or black wiper arms...

cheers

mike

The heater control plates I removed from the '71 Agave (USA spec) were chrome, not satin.

The heater control plates I removed from the '71 Agave (USA spec) were chrome, not satin.

'74-'76 dash into '71 Roundie

post-45066-14138597690009_thumb.jpg

How do the faceplates mount given the controls are fixed in place with screws?

post-45066-14138599275881_thumb.jpg

they snap/push in as long as you have the correct ones

(edited)

Hmm, yes-

the 'early' cars (ending with the big production split (what. mid- 71?)before 6 fuses became 12)

have the controls fastened to the metal dash supports, and the faceplates that cover them

are non- removable  Mine are chromed, as are Jenn's.

The whole gizmatic was redesigned subtly, the wiring changes, blah- de- blah-

the short version is that crossing that line is tricky, as you need to swap some of the subassemblies to

get it all to work.

That's different than the generational changes of the 3- piece dash parts and the 2- piece details...

AND swapping the heater box on an early car is an order of magnitude more of a pain in the butt than the 12- fuse cars.

One more reason you want a 12- fuse roundie...

t

Edited by TobyB

(edited)

That's a wrinkle but here's some info on my car as I'm working thru this

Built in late August '71 w/12 fuses

HAD a 2 piece dash with controls fastened to metal dash

Swapping to 1 piece dashboard which is missing the faceplates. Steve has 4 control plates that probably fit.

Is there anything that would cause concern here?

Edited by Roundeie