jmhonnold

Waterless Coolant

7 posts / 654 viewsLast Reply

Hi:

I am new to the forum, even though I have had an '02 for some time. I have a 1972 2002tii. I am doing quite a bit of cleanup in the fuel and cooling system. It was running a little warm, so I thought a good flush would be a good idea. Actually, I can't remember the last time it was done. I was doing some research online and found a product that I wasn't familiar with, waterless coolant. It sounds pretty slick, no water, no need for overflow, never needs replacing, won't corrode the engine, etc. Has anyone ever used this type of product in their '02? Evans was the name of the company that is selling the stuff I saw, but I am guessing there may be others. Thanks for the help.

John

If it sounds to good to be true then it is. just stick with regular coolant with a little less coolant to water ratio. like 30/70

You know, I saw Ed China on Wheeler Dealers use the stuff. Pretty impressive as when the car is all warmed up you can remove the radiator cap and there is no pressure as it has a very high boiling temp. I think I'm going to give it a go the next time I'm in a cooling system.

John

Yep, that is the same video I found. I just like the idea of no corrosion and lifetime use. The only concern I have is if you do have emergency and need some coolant. You are not supposed to mix it with water.

John

Yep, that is the same video I found. I just like the idea of no corrosion and lifetime use. The only concern I have is if you do have emergency and need some coolant. You are not supposed to mix it with water.

John

"not supposed to" = can not or it turns to jelly.

Modern bmw owners have been using it to prevent the modern fragile bmw cooling systems with their plasticy bits, from breaking. It's hit or miss. It either cures everything or causes overheating. If you show upto a track day with it in there, they will turn you away as any spill of it on the track creates a slick spot thats hard to get up.

my thought process has always been just eliminate the plastic but some people only want OEM. Will it fix anything on an 02 or help it run cooler? Nope.

A little more digging, and it sounds like it may not actually pull heat out of the engine as well as standard coolant. So, the coolant temp may be lower, but the engine temp may be higher. That, and the slipperiness of it (a track no-no), means I'll probably stick to the blue stuff.