• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&N replacement floor pan experience?

Chamoix

Ordered driver and passenger front floor pan replacements from W&N in Germany. Great price, fast shipping, and the parts look to be good quality. I haven't tried test fitting them yet, but curious if anyone has done this before and has any tips. Particularly curious about how to cut out the original metal. Is the joint a butt weld or lap? I have done a Forum search and there is lots of good info on floor pan replacement, but nothing specifically about the W&N pieces.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

Ordered driver and passenger front floor pan replacements from W&N in Germany. Great price, fast shipping, and the parts look to be good quality. I haven't tried test fitting them yet, but curious if anyone has done this before and has any tips. Particularly curious about how to cut out the original metal. Is the joint a butt weld or lap? I have done a Forum search and there is lots of good info on floor pan replacement, but nothing specifically about the W&N pieces.

I did as follows:

Ordered and received floorpans from W&N.

Put them inside the car.

Went to nice man with welder, instructed him briefly.

Came back later and picked up the car. Payed the man with the welder.

Backside: Man with welder turned out to be a complete idiot that ruined my windshield while cutting out the old pans.

Lesson learned: Next time, go to an other nice man with welder that is not an idiot. Or, learn how to weld sheet metal.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

I have welded some over the years, so plan on doing this myself. Had a crappy old welder and wife gave me a nice new MIG Lincoln one for Christmas. Also need to do both rocker panels and one of the rear shock towers (luckily I have solid replacement metal from a donor). Curious about how cutting out floor pans involved the windshield.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

My bad, I think. The idiot replaced "Floor repair sheet all types front left/right". Doing so he, as it seems, used an angle grinder facing rear and spraying the inside of the wind shield. Now full of small black dots.

Not sure what "floor pan" actually means, when I come to think of it..

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

A big rooster tail of grinding sparks I am guessing. Resulting in a pock marked windscreen.

Cut out all of the steel you want to replace and then overlay your ne panel. Scribe cclosely around the hole and then trim the new panel to fit. Finish it with a file so that it is a good close fit.

Get some welding magnets, hold it in place and tack weld. Check the fit and if all is good slowly stich weld by adding short welds around the perimeter. Shouldn't have too many problems with distortion given the size and shape of the panel but go slow.

Practice welding on offcuts of the same thickness steel, making sure your welder is adjusted to suit. Get the weld areas as clean as possible, particularly the old floor pan.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/