Buckeye

Blistein HD

14 posts / 1256 viewsLast Reply

Plan on replacing front original struts with Bilstein HD and reuse original springs. was wondering if still need to install absorbers ( 313311128651 / 31332750125 ) or should leave out the absorbers

Sorry for going off-topic but the VIN in your signature line appears to have one too many digits. I only noticed it because it's relatively close to my '76's VIN: 2742541. (7 digits)

Regards,

Steve

Bucky - yes - 'HD' requires you install the orange 'foam' rubber

bottoming stops

you do not install the orange stops if your installing 'Sport' shocks

'Sport's have internal bottoming stop

Previously in similar topic you provided diagram and specifically noted to leave it out with Bilstein Sport, but was not sure same applied to HD type.

Thanks for clarifying it.

Regards,

Buckeye

2 7 4 2 7 0 2

PRODUCTION DATE 04/1976

RETAIL DATE 8/6/1976

ORIGINAL RETAIL LOCATION BMWNA Montvale, NJ.

Steve

2 7 4 2 5 4 1

model year 1976

production date 04/1976

platform/engineering series 114

exterior color 060 Polaris Met

interior color code 0006 Black

retail date 7/30/1976

Dick Horrigan BMW 1015 Lancaster Ave. Reading PA. 19607-1609

bottoming stops

CD Im not sure how clear your message came across.. but Bilstein HD fronts have internal bump stops same as sports .. The rears need the bump stop but not the fronts

Steve

2 7 4 2 5 4 1

model year 1976

production date 04/1976

platform/engineering series 114

exterior color 060 Polaris Met

interior color code 0006 Black

retail date 7/30/1976

Dick Horrigan BMW 1015 Lancaster Ave. Reading PA. 19607-1609

Thank you, c.d.: you do, indeed, have amazing data access! Retail date and dealer? And spot on in both cases!!! One item, interior color, is incorrect: it's what I call Marine Blue but the window sticker calls Navy Blue.

Given that the databases contain interior colors -- I believe you've previously said this began in the BMW NA era -- I'm surprised that BMW archives doesn't provide this information with its stock date-and-color replies. When they re-open -- I believe it's in April -- someone with a late example should specifically ask for the interior color.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Thank you for noticing that.

Regards,

Buckeye

You're welcome. And so you have an April '76 car, as is mine! And since you've got the VIN squared away, can I mention that Sienabraun is spelled with 1 "n" in Siena. (I used to spell it with 2 "n's", as do most people on this forum, until some sharp user corrected us! Like a bunch of '02 colors -- e.g., Chamonix, Malaga -- it's named after a European city: Siena, Italy.)

Regards,

Steve

Thank you for noticing that.

Regards,

Buckeye

You're welcome. And so you have an April '76 car, as is mine! And since you've got the VIN squared away, can I mention that Sienabraun is spelled with 1 "n" in Siena. (I used to spell it with 2 "n's", as do most people on this forum, until some sharp user corrected us! Like a bunch of '02 colors -- e.g., Chamonix, Malaga -- it's named after a European city: Siena, Italy.)

Regards,

Steve

Some of these colors spelling (all in their original German spellings) might be a little off.

Regards,

Buckeye

bottoming stops

CD Im not sure how clear your message came across.. but Bilstein HD fronts have internal bump stops same as sports .. The rears need the bump stop but not the fronts

So are the rear bump stop still available ? I tried search them and could not find part No.