• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Saga of Stanley, my 1972 2002

morgieporgie

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress!  

Stanley is now sitting on all 4 tires, fenders have been (mostly) properly fitted, and engine bay has been painted.

So, pictures.

On the ground completely for the first time in... I honestly don't remember.  Almost a year?  Eh, 8 months?

ontheground_zps3694c410.jpeg

Fitting the fenders.  The front left was a replacement, so I wanted to make sure everything was good before we started painting.

fendersfit_zps0a580ce0.jpeg

Painting!  Thankfully, I have very sweet, understanding neighbors.  My dad rocks, but it was pretty obvious that I will be doing the body.  He doesn't have the... finesse.

dadpainting_zpsf85080d8.jpeg

Done, but wet.

enginepaint_zps412a8d7b.jpeg

Close up (TOTALLY FREAKING OUT DUDE)

enginebay_zps3b5735e2.jpeg

And the nose.  Honestly the best view.

nose_zps8dd9094b.jpeg

Next step is wet sanding and probably another coat, then putting the engine back in.  We are probably going to remove the front subframe, lift the car, lift the engine and take it off of the frame it's resting on, then attach it to the new subframe and slide it under.  That way I don't have to take off the transmission and put that in separate.  Maybe it will be easier than last time... I hope!

Morgan

Proud re-owner of a 1972 2002.

Follow my build at Stanley's Blog.

Looking good Morgan!

Is there a reason the front strut bolts extend farther on the right side? Also, purists may scoff that those bolts and nuts are currently appearing as painted.

Great progress!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Is there a reason the front strut bolts extend farther on the right side? Also, purists may scoff that those bolts and nuts are currently appearing as painted.

One of them is a replacement, but at the moment I can't remember which one.  The only difference seems to be that the bolts are a different length.  I'll replace the other one eventually, probably!  Yeah... not to happy he didn't tape those off.  My dad was trying to be helpful and tape everything before I got home from work, but he rushed it and missed a few things that I would have taped off.  Oh well, a little acetone on a rag and a steady hand will probably take care of it!

Morgan - I'm baffled how  you were able to paint the car in close proximity to your neighbors. All of that overspray...

My neighbors are awesome!  They really didn't mind, once they closed their windows.  The overspray went directly up our driveway, which was strange.  My dad said he had the settings up too high, so next time there will be way less overspray.  

Morgan

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly, not much progress has been made.  I went to France for two weeks last summer, so between getting ready for that and the actual trip, I didn't get a lot of free time to work.  Well, that, and the HORRENDOUS winter we had!  I'm too much of a wimp to work outside in the cold/snow (though I love shoveling, oddly).  And I am in the process of starting my 3 yo horse under saddle.  Busy busy.

We did a little more painting, around the windows, but it's only a base coat.  I cleaned and re-taped the wiring harness, and today I will be installing that.  Trying to gear up for the engine!  The biggest issue we had was rebuilding the transmission... which resulted in my dad cracking the cover.  So after he got a shop to weld the aluminum, he realized he couldn't actually get the cover back ON the transmission.  Months of pondering and tinkering later, we (I), decided it was time to buy a new one.  Found a perfect one from a lovely FAQer (Jerry0721), and a windshield!  So today I am also working on reattaching the rebuilt shifter to that transmission, and, with a new clutch, putting it back on the engine.  One step closer!  

Painting (new right fender too).  Don't mind the drips, everything has been sanded:

IMG_1508_zpsrtwyd1me.jpg

Pre-paint, with hood and trunk:

80b84cb3-05fe-4660-a648-634c50e4248b_zps

I'll try to get some more pictures of the progress today.

Morgan

• 3 weeks later...

I did it again!  Gah!  I typed a whole update and I accidentally hit a button and everything disappeared.  Not enough coffee yet today, I suppose.

Anyway, let's see if I can remember what I wrote.  

I have gotten more work done in the past two weeks than I have in the past... 6 months?  I was vacuuming the inside of Stanley on the 12th, in preparation for the soundproofing, and somehow twisted just right, enough to pop my back.  I already have two bulging disks, but they have been fine, until now.  So many drugs, a MRI, and two doctors later, no work for 3 weeks.  Doesn't mean I can't work on Stanley, though I am somewhat limited.

The first week I got the firewall insulation installed, most of the interior soundproofing (until I ran out), and three brake lines.  I'm waiting on a major parts order from W&N, which includes the little rubber thingies that go inside the fenders on the brake lines.  So until I get those, brake lines are on hold.  I did install the line that runs from the master cylinder to the "T" in the back, and the two lines to the passenger side fender.  

Firewall and brake lines:

5AF5084E-485D-440D-BC2D-FBFFEF1C2511_zps

Interior soundproofing:

9F801228-1028-4412-B60C-01953F56D82A_zps

Another shot:

66AFCADB-84A3-4767-AAA6-12E5A9BFE6A9_zps

This past week, I have been doing just wiring.  I have somewhat cannibalized the wiring harness I got with the donor body, in order to fix two wires on the front portion, and a lovely train wreck on the rear part, which my dad fixed 14 years ago after he melted it while welding.  It was functional, but ugly.  I didn't take any pictures of my fix, but it's so much nicer!  My soldering skills leave a little to be desired (mostly I just make a mess), but it's not rocket science.  And all of the lines work, which is what I care about!  So if anyone wants a partially cannibalized wiring harness, I've got one for ya!

Wiring fun.  I think this is the two front portions:

359da8e7-c76e-44d0-b2cf-b9d89940b0d2_zps

The biggest lesson I learned is that you can never label enough.  I didn't label very much on the wiring harness, and I have been kicking myself for it.  I was such an idiot!  I'm now stalking other builds to find pictures of where the wiring harness goes through the firewall, because I didn't label enough or take enough pictures.  If/when I do another build, I will not forget this lesson!  

The other night I mocked up how I want my center console to look.  I have a really nice head unit I got for my truck, but after installing it, the sound quality sucked.  Come to find out, the adapter harness didn't work with the truck's factory amp, and it would have been a complete pain to rewire.  So I took it out, put the stock one back in, and kept the nice one for Stanley.  Since I'm wiring, I've been thinking about how to install it.  I wanted to do something with cupholders too, if possible.  I'm not going to build it until much further down the line, but as of now, I'm happy with how it's looking.  It's an unfortunately dark picture, but you can kind of get the gist.  The part with the actual radio will be more upright, to leave room for the cupholders, which will fit my favorite travel mug.  Again, it's not even remotely finalized, but it's a start.

ED6CECCA-3884-47E3-A4C0-D1B57A6C58DD_zps

Morgan

Unfortunately, I did not make it to Vintage. I drove all the way down to my sister's, and everyone was excited to go. Then I woke up that morning violently puking. Decided maybe it wasn't the best choice to go! This year, my plan is to drive/trailer Stanley down!

Morgan

• 2 weeks later...

Big news!  The engine is in!!!  Still need to hook up the transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, wiring, and get a new battery, but I'm very happy.  The engine re-instal was the part I was most nervous about, and it's over now.  Lots of cussing, lots of yelling, some blood, few tears, and lots of sweat. My mom helped by almost knocking the engine off the temporary support while we tried to figure out how to lower the car while still being able to push the hoist under it.  The dog helped by constantly laying in front of the hoist (she's very bright).  But in the end, my dad, our neighbor who was there for the last instal (and insisted on being included for this one), and I got the engine back in.  

To elaborate on our one issue, I had wanted to unbolt the subframe, put the engine on the subframe, and lower the body onto the frame/engine.  My dad figured we could just lower the engine into the engine bay with little issue (wrong).  The first problem was that the hoist didn't  lift high enough to clear the nose.  Second problem was that the front wheels on the hoist couldn't fit between Stanley's tires.  So, we shortened the chain around the engine, took the tires off and lowered Stanley onto some 2x4 supports (really classy), and... it still wouldn't work.  Floor jack under the subframe, jack it up so the hoist wheels would clear the control arms, and ta-da!  In it went.  However, we did have the issue of the engine mounts.  Not as easy to tilt the engine as someone (my dad) thought it would be.  Took some man-handling (more accurately woman-handling, because I had been holding the hoist and was not quite as fatigued as they were), but everything is where it needs to be now.  The passenger side mount was super frustrating.  Should have mounted it on the subframe outside of the engine bay, but noooooooo.  Eh, whatever.  If we ever have to do it again (oh god no), it's coming out the bottom.

Before we did anything:

28A9ABEF-DB10-4239-896E-585A7F8307E4_zps

Waiting to figure out how we are going to get this thing in:

D84F4868-2655-419F-975C-1FC41DC55713_zps

And in! In some cars, a 2x4 replaced the transmission.  Very rare, worth millions.

2A2051BB-DB70-4519-A13B-F227CA26435B_zps

There are more pictures somewhere, mostly of us all sweaty and frustrated (did I mention it was like 85 and humid af?).  So I may or may not be posting those at some point.  But before I have to think about what else needs to be done, I can rejoice in knowing my engine is back in!

Morgan

• 2 years later...

Well.  I didn't realize how long it had been since I updated!  Nearly 3 years.  How time flies.  

Stanley runs!  And shifts, and brakes.  However, Stanley is definitely not complete.  Painting is finished.  Not perfect, but it's yellow!  Electrical is all hooked up, hoping to get the dash in this weekend.  However, it's fluctuating between 0-20ish degrees here, so I may not get as much work done as I had hoped.  My officers (I work in a PD) informed me that the vehicle will need a windshield before I can legally drive it, so once that's in, I'm golden.  Plus, like, a driver's seat.

We have a little list of parts we need to finish, which I am slowly finding.  Heater motor, rear right side marker lens, interior light, and a headlight switch (somehow the driving lights work but not the actual headlights).  And I have some subframe and brake parts I need to list to sell.  

Luckily, my dad retired last year!  He's been super bored, being one of those people who can't sit still.  So he's been working on the car when he needs a break from welding.  He's currently making roosters.  Don't ask.

Since last time I updated, I have graduated college, only a short 17 years after I started!  I also took over management of my barn, which has left me with basically zero free time.  I'm still hoping to have Stanley finished, or at least drivable, by this year's Vintage!

Edited by morgieporgie
  • Like 2

Morgan

Thanks guys!  My dad is determined to get Stanley on the road... mostly because I'm taking up valuable carport space.  That, and I have more vehicles now than my parents (I have the 2002, my truck, and a newish Kia Soul which is my DD).  I can always trailer down to Vintage, if all else fails (or just drive).  But hopefully Stanley will be able to make the drive!

Morgan