caskren

timing car with getrag245

10 posts / 696 viewsLast Reply

Im trying to get a friends car running and we need to time it the po had a getrag 245 installed is setting the ball the same with the stick tranny. i searched many places didnt find any info about timing with this tranny.

?????? you time it as per normal tranny makes no difference.The flywheel (where the timing marks are located ) is connected to the engine crankshaft, not to the transmission.

i suspect op's q was not based on the flywheel mark, but on the window in the tranny housing. since you line up the ball on the edge of the window, he was wondering if the opening in the tranny was the same.

to that i would say yes.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think it matters where the window is - if you see the ball when the light flashes, your timing is right (given that you are doing the procedure correctly). Only if you couldn't see the ball would you have to worry that the window was in the wrong place. I bet the ball will appear as always, regardless of the tranny.

Ah, seems to me if the window WERE in a different location, it would make a difference to timing - in the same way moving the peg at the front would change things. I don't have answer as to whether holes are different from 4 speed to 5 speed O/D (but I doubt it). On C/R box, they are the same.

IF the window were in a different location it would matter BUT the window in a 245 IS IN THE CORRECT PLACE, just time it like you normally would.

I don't think it matters where the window is - if you see the ball when the light flashes, your timing is right (given that you are doing the procedure correctly). Only if you couldn't see the ball would you have to worry that the window was in the wrong place. I bet the ball will appear as always, regardless of the tranny.

NOT correct. the ball must be in a specific place in the window.

yes i was asking if the window is the same because if it were in a different place it would not work. Just wanted to make sure before i went out there with the light and couldnt find the ball and start to pull my hair out.

thanks for the answers guys

If your front timing cover has the peg for timing off the front pulley (or you can retro fit something) its much easier to see the pulley than the flywheel ball. I transposed additional marks (TDC is already there) with white paint using a degree wheel.