• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition key came out with engine running

dudem3

My ignition key narrows as it gets closer to the tip and i accidentally pulled it out today with the engine running. I was able to stop the engine and then disconnected the battery.

I've read the posts about drilling out the pin and replacing but was hoping there might be a way to get it back in, any suggestions?

I know I didn't explicity say it, but I tried to get it back in and it wouldn't go far enough in to turn. It goes in quite a bit but needs just a little more and I didn't want to break off the key.

Sounds crazy, but turn your key over. Mine did this, and considering that it came out with it running, the tumbler is rotated at this point. Might work.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I know I didn't explicity say it, but I tried to get it back in and it wouldn't go far enough in to turn. It goes in quite a bit but needs just a little more and I didn't want to break off the key.

Sounds crazy, but turn your key over. Mine did this, and considering that it came out with it running, the tumbler is rotated at this point. Might work.

lol this happened to me at a restaurant on the way to Mid Am.

I was putting the key in upside down. Sitting there with my car running and I couldnt shut it off,.. I was sweating what I would do with a bad ignition and unable to turn the car off when my son flipped the key and shut the car off Then laughed at me as he normally does

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Mine does the exact same thing and I also thought it was because it's worn out. Interesting! It does feel like you could start it with a screw driver though.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

I think the ability to remove the key w/ the car running is a function of time & wear - on the key or the ignition, or both.

I can remove the key while running from my '75 w/ 375K miles, but cannot remove the key (while running) from my wife's '76 w/ 125K on the clock.

Bob Napier

I've been able to remove the ign key from my '69 while running for some time now (10+ years) but have never been able to do so on the '73's lock. I suspect it has something to do with using the original, steel key in the ign (which my wife did for about 15 years) vs using a brass aftermarket key (which I've done ever since buying the '73 in 1978).

Brass keys don't wear the lock mechanism as much as steel ones; also the weight of a bunch of keys on a keychain will wear a lock much faster than only one or two keys on the chain.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

He's not the only one.

:-p

Then laughed at me as he normally does

Ditto Ray.

Before or after the mirror was ripped off.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Yip I have the same...

I find it a kinda of useful unintended function of wear.

When I'm warming up my engine and I need something

from the trunk, I just pop the key out, unlock the trunk

get what I need and pop it back in the ignition with

engine running.

G

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver