• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 1600 on ebay

ziff73

Well, I listed my 69 1600 on ebay... i don't know why, really. I just finished a pretty grueling resto on her and have put about 400 miles on it in the last few weeks. She's a real screamer, but for some reason, my heart's just not in it...:-(. I used to daily drive a 76' for 6 years or so and thought I'd love to restore one now and then I'd be happy forever...I think the process may have burned me out. Anyway, feel free to look at the ad and comment... Hell, if she doesn't sell, I'll probably take that as a sign and get on with enjoying it! Ahhhhh!!! Has anyone else been in a similar position after doing almost two years of work on a car?

-Stephen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Other-2-door-1969-BMW-1600-2002-bimmer-classic-02-beemer-2L-/130849918533?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e77434e45#ht_2395wt_1182

Well, I listed my 69 1600 on ebay... i don't know why, really. I just finished a pretty grueling resto on her and have put about 400 miles on it in the last few weeks. She's a real screamer, but for some reason, my heart's just not in it...:-(. I used to daily drive a 76' for 6 years or so and thought I'd love to restore one now and then I'd be happy forever...I think the process may have burned me out. Anyway, feel free to look at the ad and comment... Hell, if she doesn't sell, I'll probably take that as a sign and get on with enjoying it! Ahhhhh!!! Has anyone else been in a similar position after doing almost two years of work on a car?

-Stephen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Other-2-door-1969-BMW-1600-2002-bimmer-classic-02-beemer-2L-/130849918533?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e77434e45#ht_2395wt_1182

Bummer, man. I was just looking at your ad earlier today. Gorgeous '02!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Mercy, that is nice. And I've been wanting a 1600. Too bad it's across the country from me AND I have my own restoration in a thousand pieces right now.

My interest has never flagged but sometimes I just want to drive the blasted thing.

Either way, you can't lose on this one. If you end up with it, what a great car.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

A quote from your Ebay listing "...but once I finally finished it..all I can remember is the pain I went through trying to build it and my heart just wasn't in it like I thought it would be."

I know the feeling Stephen and am vexed by it as well. I restored a '59 Willys Wagon for two years after which I rarely drove it, broke my heart when I sold her though. Strange.

Good luck with the sale, (if that's what you want), you'll probably will regret it though as I did!

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

Appreciate the comments, everybody. Who knows, it may never get up to the reserve anyway.

I changed the break-in oil today and picked my son up from school in it and, man, it sure is fun to drive...:-) with the tip top engine and 4:10 rear end, the thing will definitely scoot!

Hell, maybe I'll end up with it and drive cross country to the Vintage..ha!

-Stephen

Appreciate the comments, everybody. Who knows, it may never get up to the reserve anyway.

I changed the break-in oil today and picked my son up from school in it and, man, it sure is fun to drive...:-) with the tip top engine and 4:10 rear end, the thing will definitely scoot!

Hell, maybe I'll end up with it and drive cross country to the Vintage..ha!

-Stephen

I like the Vintage idea, you should do it. I've been taking my kids to it the last 2 years. What a great event. It may be the inspiration you need to just keep it. Speaking of sons, I just met a father and son enjoying an 02 the Dad bought 30+ years ago. I don't know if your son enjoys the car but if he does, don't discount that aspect of keeping it.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

Stephen, there are 3 things to do, drive it , drive it & drive it , as soon as you get your 1st medal (road chip) its up hill all the way , its a car it was built to .....drive . You will soon fall back in love & all the hard work will pay off by the smile on your & your son's faces.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

very nice job. i hope you get what you are looking for pricewise. i know how much work goes into merely reassembling, let alone refurbishing one of these.

the only comment i have is that for these early cars, originality is key. i don't think the spiffy wheels add to the car, as far as selling goes.

the interior looks good. if you could find the time to rekindle your desire for it, it would be a good thing.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

After two years of restoring a 72, soon to be for sale, i kind of get what your feeling, but then i jump in my 74 and the douts go away. + 1 on what Toubib says, hit the 101 fwy to westlake, (73?) my favorite to where the twisty ends at the sea. That car needs its legs stretched, see what your work can bring to you. I purchased another 02 today, i want to get more into racing, my goal is to beat that Limey Steve, hopefully i wont regret selling him those dellorto 45's. Purchase a helmet and lets go to willow springs! chris

the only comment i have is that for these early cars, originality is key. i don't think the spiffy wheels add to the car, as far as selling goes.

I totally agree. The whole vibe of this car is subtle and clean, but the wheels don't quite fit into the picture (although I do like them!). It'd be the perfect sleeper with some stock steelies (extra points for dogdish hubcaps). Just my $.02

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock