• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

calling all 2002 DRIVERS, again

M3M3

geez...i just checked current registrations... there are THREE 1960's MG B's registered!  and no 2002's.  are we going to let the MG's show us up?????

one week left to register for the 29 jun event folks.

2xM3

Marshall-would love to join you at Shenandoah but will be at VIR for 3 days that weekend. I am hoping to finish my '69 rebuild (engine and driveline are in, suspension close to done, still modifying floor pan for exhaust) and get it on the trailer for that event. May end up installing final parts at the track. Have not done an SCCA school yet, but interested to get involved with that crew (and maybe FATT) later in the year. Also considering PVGP--you going?

Best, Fred  '74tii (on blocks until Fall) & '69 DCOE (in pieces but coming together)

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred...will you be at the NJCBMWCCA race/pdx weekend at end of july at summit main?  that will be great event.  would be fun to get a few quick 02's out in the instructor group.  i am going to see if chris williams can come down from PA with his green track car.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

Fred...will you be at the NJCBMWCCA race/pdx weekend at end of july at summit main?  that will be great event.  would be fun to get a few quick 02's out in the instructor group.  i am going to see if chris williams can come down from PA with his green track car.

Can i get more info about this event. I would really like to come down and meet up with some fellow 02 owners. Have to see whether i will bring my 02. Not confident yet on the Highway. Also i would only be around to hangout and not to drive(even though i can).

Go Boilermakers!

Just came back home from a very nice weekend at Summit Point. Weather was perfect Saturday for the event which was my very first PDX (Performance Driving Experience).  There were about 25 in my class (Novice) and I was the only 2002 at the track except for Marshall's car.  I was a little nervous at first but felt much better after some familiarization laps and the first (of 4) sessions on the track.  My assigned instructor was Dave Fitzgerald who actually used to own and race 2002's and he lives not too far from me - we had never met.  After inflating the tires to 38psi, the tii did a wonderful job around the twisty, multi-elevation and condition track.  I had a wonderful time flinging the car around the track - almost too much fun.  At the end of the third session that started at 2:30, my brake pedal was getting low.  I had overheated the brakes and boiled the fluid. The calipers got really hot!  With Marshall's assistance, we bled the right front (much better pedal) but when I did the left side, the inner bleeder screw did not want to cooperate, stripping the caliper for some odd reason. I was done for the day and we improvised on the bleed screws so I could get back home today.

I got a chance to ride along with Marshall after he mounted a set of fresh tires on the M2.  Boy that car is serious fast and fun on that tight twisty track!  We got airborne and sometimes up on two wheels - thank goodness he is a professional racer that easily corrected the situations.

I certainly learned a lot from my first PDX and look forward to going back.

I didn't get a chance to take many pictures.  Maybe next time.

IMG_0939_zps4cbf751d.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsaa1d2cf4.jpg

IMG_9027_zps925bbdd5.jpg

IMG_9028_zps2f80a17a.jpg

IMG_9029_zps7a2add3c.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

yes....PDX was a blast!   Jim did great and really started to work the car....as evidenced by the heat he put in the brakes which was too much for the Prestone brake fluid...upgrading to ATE Blue for next event!!

i was bummed as my video camera did not turn on for the one session i tried running it in.  didn't realize the issue until we tried to watch the incar last night.  argh!

ok folks....lets all come out and play with the NJ chapter BMWCCA at end of july on the summit main track!!!

2xM3

Here is a link to some pics taken during the staging for our 2nd session (I think).

The 3-series in front of me was 1st out onto the track so I had a great session.  My closest competitor of the day was the Golf TDI - he never passed me but stuck to my bumper when I made some minor mistakes. Not too bad for an old tii with stock engine. 

http://june29pdx.shutterfly.com/57#57

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors