Stevenc22

Windshield Locking Bead

19 posts / 5325 viewsLast Reply

I have the windshield installed with a new BMW gasket. I have the AEGIS tool. But when i try and install the bead, the gasket gets pinched and rips little pieces off. I tried lubing with soapy water to minimize pinching but that didnt help much. Something about my technique is wrong because i am damaging this gasket.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steven

can you post a photo of the working end of your tool ?

it may need modifing if it sharp edged

here are the nice rounded, with roller special BMW / SAAB

tool which spreads, opens, presses down with roller tool

using a NEW rubber seal ?

BMWSAABwindsheildtoolkit.jpg

not to hijack your thread, but the 76 I just bought does not have a chrome locking bead on the front windshield......I assume that mine is wrong? Wasn't sure if all years had the bead?

not to hijack your thread, but the 76 I just bought does not have a chrome locking bead on the front windshield......I assume that mine is wrong? Wasn't sure if all years had the bead?

They all should have the lockingstrip.

Lots of guys substitute the black Turbo lockstrip. Perhaps thats what you have?? But as stated you need a lockstrip of some sort

tls2582.JPG

Steven - the above tool looks the Mutts Nutts (good)

should'nt be tearing anything - need to press down hard

so the wire loop is under the seal lips - spreading and the

roller presses the lock trim down into the groove - hold the handle

at a low angle nearly level with the rubber as you go - spreading,

pressing, slowly . lub'd up with window cleaner

I'm sure Bill Williams or someone else here has

an excellent photo gallery of the technique - wait

and someone will provide that link

Tip No. 3.

place the new lock trim strip in a pail of "HOT!"

water to soften it before installing - it will flow into

the rubber groove like butta!

Does any one know if these tools are sold in any retail locations?

I went to purchase one online and shipping to Canada was more than the tool. O_o I don't have mail delivery where I'm staying (house rental)

I happen to be in Florida right now on vacation, so if any one knows where one can be picked up, that would be great to know

thanks

Allan

This is exactly why I install the gasket AND the lockstrip to the glass,

THEN put the glass into the car.

I also had trouble not damaging the gasket. The Lisle tool pictured above

really benefitted from a bit of rounding of the stamped edges. Yours

seems like it should be better in that regard.

FWIW,

t

I just struggled with that a couple of weeks ago using the same tool. I removed the roller as it did not help.

Find the smallest loop thru which it the lockstrip fits easily (was the second smallest I think).

Here's the orientation I used.

IMG_2737_zps670a6cda.jpg

IMG_2738_zpsddb4aacf.jpg

As you can see from the pic the rubber could get trapped between the bottom of the lock strip and the tool. So you need to apply lubricant to the bottom of the lock strip as well as the top and groove of the rubber. The mix I used was not strong enough. Next time I'd try a stronger dose of soap in the mix. I wonder it it's ok to used petroleum jelly or will that damage the rubber?

Byas

Bill Williams, by chance can you replace the links to the photos you previously posted? Judging by your past thoroughness, these will be the key to a successful project.  :) I have the tool sent from BavAuto and the locks trips. Now I just need courage. 

An auto glass shop with a tech >40 years old can install the lock strip in ~10 minutes at a minimal cost, unless you truly want to tackle the job yourself! Pros usually use a stiff white plastic tool with blunted ends to open the rubber gasket and get the strip in place without gouging the "chrome" finish.

There is a video elsewhere on this forum of some folks replacing a windshield and lock strip during Vintage at the Vineyard a few years ago. It is under Articles or Articles under construction. When you find it go to the last post where somebody reposted the broken links from earlier. I watched them just yesterday and they are really helpful. I am on an iPhone or else I'd find the link for you. Maybe someone else will post it.