Beaner7102

Door card cutting file (.ai .dwg etc.)

23 posts / 3239 viewsLast Reply

Living in Australia is great except for shipping of large items from the US - like door cards from Aardvark.

I plan to make some new door cards with the help of the CNC router at work.

Does anyone here have a cutting file I can use as a template?

Any file format is fine.

Email me (link above). Thanks Beaner7102

yes freight is a bit too high on them .I was thinking about the same thing , tell us if you go ahead.

Tim, I think I may have to draw it up myself.

Once complete I will sell them through Doug's 02 register. Shipping Australia wide.

Beaner

Thats the same conclusion I came to . Thats a good idea, doing it thru Doug , Id buy a couple of sets . Are you going to use marine ply?

Two ifs:

1. Access to an old one to act as template perhaps patching where there is wear or damage.

2. Router with a pilot bit (a straight cutter with a bearing to act as guide).

The router with pilot bit will do a very good job copying the the original. Standard stuff in the woodworking world. Much better than tracing because the the pencil line will always be offset.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=26867&site=ROCKLER

Two ifs:

1. Access to an old one to act as template perhaps patching where there is wear or damage.

2. Router with a pilot bit (a straight cutter with a bearing to act as guide).

The router with pilot bit will do a very good job copying the the original. Standard stuff in the woodworking world. Much better than tracing because the the pencil line will always be offset.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=26867&site=ROCKLER

Thanks, I have access to a CNC router and was looking at producing many sets. So a drawing file is what I need.

I do have an old, but swollen, door card and a spare door to check from. So time to draw my own I think. Beaner7102

Iv probably got a couple here as well not sure what they are like , they are up in the garage ceiling .I dont know who else has found this but some door cards seem a bit long , on one door on my 02 it seems to sit further towards the back of the car than the other side .What suburb are you in ?

Ooooh I need some too, have been putting it off as its at the very bottom of the list. Assumed postage would be too great.

Post back with updates.

Will

Will, I'm almost finished the prototyping. I have sent Doug an email (if you are on his Register) to try and gauge how many sets I need to make, as its cheaper to do more at one time. Otherwise email me - link above.

Beaner7102

Depending on the cost I'm pretty keen, mine are shabby but usable.

I get Doug's emails so I can wait for that, but probably count me in.

cheers.

Hey, recognise that this is an old post but what ever happened to making these door cards?

Stripped my doors for paint last week and figure my bloated torn boards need replacement (the vinyl is in reasonable shape)

Thanks in advance

Try taking a picture strait above it with a 50mm or so lens (I think, you can test with a ruler to get everything even)

my cheapo cad (qcad) let's me put an image in the back ground, then trace it.  Do some manual measurements for sanity checks and adjust as required

I've done that a couple of times for non-dimensional critical pieces and it worked ok.