• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine install with or without tranny; that is the question

billpatterson

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any which old way works.

Given how sometimes the engine doesn't want to stab the trans at >>frikkin<<

all, in your situation I'd mate the two, then install. It's fiendishly hard to

get angles right sometimes- and pathetically easy, others.

And I can't really figure out why the difference, often...

But if you decide to install separately, mate them first, and depress the clutch

once or twice.

Then pop 'em apart, and when you go to align them, it'll go just a bit easier.

And even

the scary $40 HF leveller is well worth it, IF you're doing them separately.

Honestly, whatever you're most comfortable with, like CD said.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

I took the trans out the bottom and dropped in the engine from the top, then put the transmission in from the bottom. Tried to drop them in as a complete unit into the car and had trouble- it's an automatic shell with a 4 speed manual, but the AC was the cause of my trouble.

This is how I did mine , every thing on the sub frame, rolled under the car, lower car on jacks, life sub frame up to the body, install 4 bolts :)

Harry

Harry: What is holding up the car on the 2nd photo? I can see a floorjack towards the rear with something like a 4x4 going across. Is that it? Seems like a lot of leverage with most of the car hanging forward of the jacking point. Did the body feel stable?

Luis

This is how I did mine , every thing on the sub frame, rolled under the car, lower car on jacks, life sub frame up to the body, install 4 bolts :)

Harry

Harry: What is holding up the car on the 2nd photo? I can see a floorjack towards the rear with something like a 4x4 going across. Is that it? Seems like a lot of leverage with most of the car hanging forward of the jacking point. Did the body feel stable?

It looks like there is a come-a-long or hoist attached to a ceiling beam lifting the front of the car.

The Mobile Tradition Inka tii during the "glass workshop" build

c12_0612_14z1972_bmw_2002_tiiengine.jpg

I'm assuming that picture was taken for promotional purposes. The front dolly would require removal to install the engine.

Note the two heater hoses are installed on the engine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The engine also seems to be attached to a section of the subframe (see steering sector) and the whole thing balanced on a floor jack.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

could you lift the front end of a big bumper car with beams in the bumper shock holes? Assuming it would be light as the subframe and engine falls below.

Basically you would support the subframe and engine and lift the car up over it.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Hi Luis, The rear sub frame is in the car and it is sitting on the rear tires, the car is held up buy a 3000lb come along which is attached to a very large support beam in my garage, there is a correct size chain, for the weight ,attached on each end buy the large bolt in the engine compartment that holds the bumper on in the later cars. The come along is attached to this chain and easily lifts the front of the body up, roll the complete sub frame under the car and then lower the front on to the jack stands, connect the chain to the motor lift points and lift the motor and subframe off the dolly and up to the bolting location on the body , roll the dolly out and use a floor jack under the subframe for safety, install the 4 subframe bolts and connect the struts and a front axles and connect the tie rod ends then tires, remove the come along raise the front with the floor jack and remove the stands and lower the car on the tires DONE.

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen